Anyone got any theories on multiple hard drive failures, two have gone
west in the last two weeks.
The first was of little importance as it was merely used as a transfer
device between my wife's and my own hard drives on our PC ( we have our
own drives (C drive) in caddies).
The failure of the PC to recognise drive D was just an annoyance, but I
decided to do something about it and tried to format it on the PC - no
joy, I then attempted to format it on my Q40 - still no joy the drive is
I think dead.
As a short term measure I decided to replace it with the Win2_ drive in
my Q40, I use Win2 on the Q40 for backups mainly, I have some but not
all of the Q40 Win1_ backed up on floppies, so today the Q40 fired up
and wont recognise Win1_ - oh joy of joys.
No amount of win_drive dohickeying worked so in the end I was resigned
to format Win1 and put Christmas holidays on hold while I load in all
the stuff from the floppies.
I now have little faith in this drive ( 2.1 meg Cavier ).
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas why this could of happened.
The Q40 shares a printer and a monitor with the PC, no switching is
required as the printer has usb for PC and par for Q40, the monitor a
Sony has dual input, two night ago the PC ( Windows 98 ) took it upon
itself to switch resolution from 800x600 to something lower, however I
have used the Q40 since then without problem. I did notice though that
an archive file with a COUNT() of 92 now has a COUNT() of 0.00289... or
something.
oh I'm running smsqe 2.98
All the best - Bill