Mr Dilwyn Jones of (West) Wales wrote -

"I know from my audio technician past and working briefly at Peacock
Electronics that motors in cd players for example tend to have their
lubrication innards fail when they've been standing or very cold for
some time. A fellow engineer used to put 2-3 times the normal voltage
across the motor (in the case of little walkmen cd players a PP3
battery) for a few seconds on the grounds that OK it was already bust
as far as the owner was concerned  so if he burned it out, no extra
problem, the m0tor had to be replaced anyway, but 9 times out of 10 it
started ..."

Just recently I nearly gave up on a CD deck which had never really behaved
since it was a baby.  It was temperamental - just like the HDs described.
I'd tried cleaning the lens etc etc.  SO! working exactly on the "Jones
principle" [above], I carefully blocked out the lens and squirted bicycle
synthetic lubricant aerosol down a very narrow tube at where I guessed the
motor and traversing mechanism might be.  All a bit ruff & redee.

It's worked, perfect like, consistent, ever since.

A good swan, two polos and a swan to everyone!

Johh in (East) Wales