okay, i've stayed out of this discussion for a while, although interesting, it seems that some of the points about SMSQ/E have been missed.

Can someone please send me a copy of the licence for the release of SMSQ/E sources, so I can have a look at this.

1) Is the license actually definitive, or has it yet to be signed by Tony Tebby??  Surely an agreement to amend the licence can be reached if necessary...

2) Some additions/changes to SMSQ/E can be released as add-on modules - this would overcome any problems with distribution/copyright etc as the add-on modules could be released and sold separately by the authors.

3) The rules on copyright are actually fairly tight (at least here in the UK) - the copyright for any code produced remains with the original author, unless released into the public domain.  Surely (although I have not seen the terms of the licence), if someone wanted to release a new version of SMSQ/E specifically for Aurora, for example, they could put their own limits upon distribution of the code which they have written, for example, the sources should not be made public, and the binaries should only be distributed provided a specified fee is paid to that author.

After all, the license agreement can only relate to the existing SMSQ/E code, not any additions made to it later by Tony Tebby or anyone else.

*** FINALLY A PLEA ***
Can we please stop personal attacks and arguments on this list - we should all try to work together in producing an agreement on how SMSQ/E can be developed at a later date..

Rich Mellor
RWAP Software
7 Common Road, Kinsley, Pontefract, West Yorkshire, WF9 5JR
TEL: 01977 614299