> The format of  a Partial Save Area is:
>
> Spare          Long     available to a user
> Flag            Word     $4AFC
> X_size         Word    width in pixels
> Y_size         Word    Height in pixels
> Increment    Word     length of one line in bytes
> Mode           Byte     mode of saved image
> Spare          Byte     zero
> Image          Increment*Y_size bytes
>
> The "Image" is simply the exact copy of the part of the screen which
is
> saved. If the mode is 33 (as for the Q40/60 extended colours) each
pixel is a
> word. For mode 4 each word contains 8 pixels.
>
> I would imagine that a _pic file is not in that format, but I could
be wrong.
This is indeed one type of _pic file. Sadly, the extension _pic over
the years has been used for just about any graphics or _picture file!
I've come across some Eye-Q (Digital Precision) graphics files with
that extension, plus ones created with a graphical toolkit from the
early days of the QL,can't remember the name.

These days, _pic is probably a good choice of filename extension for
these partial area saves. In fact, if you look in the Easyptr manual,
under the WSAIN and related commands (L_WSA, S_WSA, WSASV, WSARS) it
documents this file format and provides a set of BASIC extensions to
handle these in memory (save and restore areas) and to save and load
to/from file.

Minor point, quoting from the Easyptr manual, the "spare long word"
before the $4AFC is described as "longword: ALCHP link" which probably
means it's part of a common heap linkage block and probably best left
unaltered.

assuming 'adr' points to the $4AFC flag in memory:

adr-20    long    heap length
adr-16    long    driver
adr-12    long    owner job
adr-8     ?       (I don't know what this does)
adr-4     long    ALCHP link
adr       word    $4AFC flag

However, if you go to the QPTR guide it describes it as you have
listed it. The PIC files I've seen however don't seem to save the
"spare" long word. I wonder if it's just an internal function of QPTR?

--
Dilwyn Jones
[EMAIL PROTECTED]