> It certainly is. Floppy disc access is in fact the only part of QPC
> that needs completely independent code for 9x/ME and NT/2000/XP. The
> reason being that while NT/2000/XP incorporate a proper floppy
driver
> 9x/ME only uses a wrapper for the BIOS calls. The only "advantage"
is
> that QPC1 and QPC2 for 9x share almost exactly the same floppy
code...

> Having said this I wouldn't rule out that it might be a BIOS
problem.

Knowing this PC, that is entirely possible. However, I find it odd
that this only happens when using certain M$ programs to browse files.
The usual suspects of Windows Exploder, net programs and older
graphics programs have no effect, it seems to be just Windoze programs
related to M$ Orifice in some way. We do use M$ Office at work but
it's a Windoze 2000 system and different version of M$ office, so the
same parameters don't apply.

After a few minutes experimenting, Phoebus's suggestion of removing
the Office 97 item from the Startup menu seems to have cleared the
problem, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys.

--
Dilwyn Jones