Hi all,

As part of the QeyMail project, I actually have to do a lot of other
things first. For example, I want to put easy wrappers around using the
stack, so people can use them easily in any BASIC program. I know this has
been done in other ways by people before me, but I have a very clear idea
of what I'd like to do, and how easy I'd like it to be.

For example, I will need to write a "named" daemon, to get the correct
time from a remote server, since I cannot trust the time on every QL.
Also, DNS resolution.

I envision the followign wrappers:

Functions:

TIMED (server$)
DNSRESOLVE (server$, domainname$)

EG:

REMark # Example only,. not good coding practice)
REMark # Turn name into IP
Domain$ = "smtp.mail.com"
REMark # IP$ will hold resolved IP of Domain$
IP$ = DNSRESOLVE ("205.230.159.9", Domain$)
REMark # Get time
REMark # nettime will hold numeric time from chosen timed server
nettime = TIMED (IP$)

etc...

The wrapper should handle all pipe setup, connection opening, closing,
etc. transparently to the coder.

What I'm looking for is advice/suggestions/commentary on how far I should
take it to simplify it? I really want to follow the SBASIC paradigm of
abstraction.

Also, does anyone have any questions?

Also, many of these abstractions will be spun off and usable separately
under the LGPL. I have emailed Jon Dent seeking his comments, as I would
like to be able to include SOQL with the package, or make it easier to
find ;)

Dave