In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, =?utf-8?B?IlBob2VidXMgUi4gRG9rb3MgKM6mzr/Or86yzr/PgiDOoS4gzp3PhM+Mzro=?= =?utf-8?B?zr/Pgiki?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Exactly right but the quest for code uniformity imposed by both the structure of the license and choices make it impossible for SMSQ/E to be that on the Q60 as the situation stands.
I think this is a bit unfair on Wolfgang. The only stipulation of conformity is that programs will run in the same way on all platforms (and don't anyone start that 'the operating system standing on platform A is not on a platform because..... nonsense again). If you have to change the drivers or other parts of the system to make it run better on a Q 60 it is fine to have a platform specific version of SMSQ/E for that. I have lost count of the number of times that Wolfgang has said this. The important thing is that the program code that runs on one will run on them all if the hardware supports it. That is where all the patching started to get us into trouble with long standing programs not running because the caches had been enabled/disabled. This is the sole purpose of conformity and the idea of the licence and Wolfgang's role in it. It was never intended to stop development of anything and, in all but one case, it hasn't.
Again, I disagree in practice. If the hardware is there but no software to take care of it,
what use the hardware?

And who is to blame for that? Certainly not Peter right? For the reasons I said we cannot expect from Peter only to develop software for the Qx0. We do not live unfortunately in the time where CST or Dansoft or Sinclair were around and had the market and the capability of developing both the hardware and systems software. (Okay maybe the CST/Dansoft paradigm isn't the best but it illustrates the point). And even if Peter (or Nasta or even Tony Firshman and the ill-fated iBox) want to do so, shouldn't the software fit their needs and plans? If SMSQ/E doesn't fit their requirements why should they invest time and money on it?
But in what way does it not fit ? The Q.xx series ran SMSQ/E with a handful of bugs quite happily before and it runs the new code much better now. Again I cannot speak for the Q60 but I believe that Wolfgang has a Q60 and it is not in his interest as a user to hamper his own system by holding back any developments for it. I cannot but see Peter's frequent protestations as anything but sour grapes because he did not get his own way. Something not inconsistent with his other behaviour.

--
Roy Wood
Q Branch. 20 Locks Hill, Portslade, Sussex.

  • ... SMSQ
    • ... Jerome Grimbert
      • ... Jochen Merz (SMSQ)
        • ... Bill Cable