On 17 Mar 2004 at 18:28, Dilwyn Jones wrote:

> How much of SMSQ/E for Qx0 is modular and how much "inbuilt" (i.e. has
> to be rewritten every time a new SMSQ/E is released)?

Nothing has to be "rewritten"for the Q60 (or any other machine) every time a new
SMSQ/E is released, unless some changes are required by the files that were changed
(e.g. different screen handling for colour drivers).

> Just wondering if making a new Q60 SMSQ/E would be a matter of bolting
> on Q60 specific modules to standard SMSQ/E releases?

There already are Q60 specific modules.

>(...) i.e. whoever is building and releasing the new SMSQ/E
> gets paid to produce a Q60 version. That way, SMSQ/E for Qx0 remains
> up to date and someone gets paid to produce the new releases alongside
> the other versions.

I'm "building" and releasing the new SMSQ/E (for QPC, Q60 and others)
I certainly don't want to get paid.

I put the building into quotation marks, because this is mainly just a matter of
incorporating the source files graciously donated by those wishing to contribute to
SMSQ/E.
"Building" the executables then is just a matter of pressing some buttons.

Q60 SMSQ/E is up to date.

I sometimes wonder how often one has to repeat oneself onthis list to be - if not
understood- at least heard.

The whole purpose of the registrar is to make sure that versions for all machines
remain as up to date as is possible.

Two examples:
a - the colour drivers. (need I say more?)
B - Specific Q60 development: Fabrizio Diversi made specific versions of some of the
source files for the Q60. These used a machine code instruction the Q60 had
difficulty in handling - Fabrizio changed them by removing these instructions and
replacing them with analoguous code and the new files are now part of the official Q60
SMSQ/E code tree.

All this is, of course, transparent to the user, as it should be.

(...)

> The software Peter is producing seems too important (...)

Not if it isn't made available.

Wolfgang