Hello,

if try

hg clone https://bitbucket.org/kiozen/qmaptool

I got an error abort: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Kind regards

Axel

Am 05.11.2017 um 15:01 schrieb Oliver Eichler:
Hm.... I think I git tricked by Bitbucket's personalized URLs. Try this one:

https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmaptool

Am Sonntag, 5. November 2017, 14:49:08 CET schrieben Sie:
ivo@Criceto:~$ hg clone https://bitbucket.org/kiozen/qmaptool
abort: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Whatts?

Hi,

I would like to announce a new toy in my shed. Those of you that used
QLandkarte GT might recall that QLandkarte GT is able to reference scanned
maps and to convert them into various formats. This was one of the
functionalities that really put a lot of stress on  the code and the GUI.
That's why I decided to drop that stuff in QMapShack.

However the initial need to reference scanned paper maps is still present.
For
many mountain areas a good topographic raster map is much better than a
vector
map. And there are still quite some areas not covered by digital raster
maps.
Or these maps are hard to get in a useful format. Or quite expensive.

That's why I prefer to scan my paper maps and to reference and convert
them to
be used in QMapShack and my GPS device. A lot of work and not really free
of
any costs. But it's worth it  as I have the same map for planning and on
the
tour. And it's very easy to match the position from the GPS with the paper
map. So from my point of view worth the cost in time and money.

But as QLandkarte GT grows old and has a lot of nasty OpenGL dependencies
that
make compiling it a PITA, I decided to start a new tool. And during the
last
weeks I found the time to drive it forward to a usable state. It's not
fully
featured. Probably full of small bugs. But I managed to do a complete
production cycle to reference a map. That's why I decided to announce it.
You
can find the code here:

https://bitbucket.org/maproom/qmaptool

This is for the interested users that are able to compile stuff. And for
the
package maintainers to test and decide if they want to add it to their
package
portfolio.

Right now QMapTool does exactly what I need to reference my maps. Usually
get them as RGB TIFs from the scan job.  I have to add overviews to make
information like the legend or the grid coordinates. So far I struggled
with
GIMP. Now it's much easier with QMapTool. And finally I have to create a
matrix of reference points on the grid crossing and fine tune these.

Still missing are tools to reduce maps from RGBA to a unified 8bit color
table
to decrease their size. And to combine multiple map files to one large
file.

Also I wonder if it is possible to detect the grid crossing and move the
reference points to the correct location by image processing. I discussed
the
idea without success years ago. But in the meantime there are quite
libraries for machine learning. Maybe it's feasible this time. Any input
is
very welcome.

For those that like to test early alpha stage software: Have fun with
QMapTool!

Oliver