Hey folks,

   I just upgraded my main mailserver, and suddenly I'm getting several
(ie, a dozen or two) of these errors each day, out of possibly a thousand
or two thousand messages:

Jan 14 18:00:32 host X-Qmail-Scanner-1.24:
[host.bennyvision.com110574723048612678] clamdscan: corrupt or unknown
clamd scanner error or memory/resource/perms problem - exit status 512/2

Jan 14 19:23:48 host X-Qmail-Scanner-1.24:
[host.bennyvision.com110575222748610136] clamdscan: corrupt or unknown
clamd scanner error or memory/resource/perms problem - exit status 512/2

   I cannot see a correlation between the errors and specific oversized
emails.  Nor do these errors seem to do any damage that I have been
able to determine yet.

   Now, this server is slightly underpowered for what I'm asking it to
do right now (qmail-scanner, IMAP, clamd, SpamAssassin), and I've seen
it dip into swap several times.  I'm in the process of building out a
new box that's four times as fast and more RAM, so I want to be sure
this is indeed because the current machine is just struggling every so
often and not because I've bunged something up.  :)

   This server is running OpenBSD 3.6-STABLE on i386, PIII 700 with
512M of PC100 RAM.  The new one is the same OS on an AMD64 3000+ with
1G (for now) of DDR400 RAM.  Oh, running netqmail-1.05 as well.

   Is there a way to determine definatively that this is indeed a
resource issue?

Thanks much!

Benny

--
"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all."
                                                  -- Mike Tyson