Hello List,

We have a server moving about 9000 msgs per day and want to have a
second qmail server waiting on our network to take over in the event of
a failure.

Our current thinking is:

- an identical qmail installation on a backup machine
- daily copy of /home /control and /alias to backup machine
- in the event of a massive failure unplug the ethernet from the main
server and plug into the backup machine.

(I realize we will lose the queue --normally just full of waiting
bounces-- and all msgs received for local users since the last backup)

My question is, will there be any implications "Out_There" of suddenly
having a new IP and hostname for our mailserver, assuming we make the
appro DNS changes?

Any other comments on this kind of idle machine waiting backup scheme?
(the main mail server is dpt raid fived)

cheers - eric