On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Eric Dahnke wrote:

> What do you mean by hold all the messages?
>
> Our mailserver does both smtp and pop, so therein lies the problem. Great, so
> the MX rolls and the backup server accepts smtp for our domains. But what
> about pop? When the primary server comes back up, users would need to pop both
> servers to get all their mail, and that would turn into a mess.
>
> Or am I not understanding.

I have one subdomain with something like this:

- primary mail server, has lower MX records, users, pop, imap, etc.

- secondary mail server, higher MX records, no users, no pop, etc.

If the primary mail server goes down, messages are queued on the backup
server.  This is accomplished by making the backup server a "null client"
as defined in the qmail FAQ.

When the primary server comes back online after a failure, the queued
messages on the backup server are delivered to the primary server.

Pop users would have an interuption in service, but no lost messages.

In the case of an extened outage of the primary server, you could build or
fall back to a entirely different primary server by changing the MX
records for your mail domain, and changing the qmail/control/smtproutes
file.

- Ari

Ari Rubenstein                          Unix Operations Engineer
Digex, West Coast                       Sun Cert'd SysAdmin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
408-873-4256