"Olivier M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I guess that an Exchange server don't simply use STMP to communicate
> with another exchange server. What kind of protocol is it, and is it
> possible to emulate it using qmail tools ? I looked on the qmail
> homepage and in some other places, and didn't found much details
> about that : maybe you know a little bit more ? I'm just looking
> for some more docs (url...) and why not qmail/exchange configuration
> examples.

I'm not an expert on M$ Exchange by any means, but I know
for sure that Exchange can run an SMTP server for itself,
and this is where you can hook up to. Just have all customer
mail delivered into Maildirs on your new qmail machine
(one Maildir per customer), then you can use a small program
to fetch the mail using POP3 from the qmail machine to the
Windows machines running Exchange, where you re-inject them
into the local SMTP server offered by Exchange. I do the
same for a bunch of customers running Lotus Notes SMTP
servers behind dialup lines.
I think Exchange can also use ETRN to tell another SMTP
server that it wants it to send queued mail, but ETRN
is even worse, being incredibly insecure and qmail doesn't
support it w/o a patch anyway, so stay away from it.

-t