> This is a bad idea.  Why?  Because you're setting yourself up for the
> situation a friend was just in.  His main server went down, and the
> secondary kicked in.  Unfortunately, the secondary server had become
> misconfigured (or was never configured correctly in the first place)
> and his email started bouncing.

        Your friend's problem was not that he had a secondary server.   Your
friend's problem was that he had a misconfigured secondary.

        If we discouraged people from running software that they often
misconfigured, this list would be a dead dull desert with wind and dust
devils floating through.

        If you're going to run a

        [smtp server / smtp secondary / dns server / dns secondary / web
server / pop server / server / unix machine / windows machine / tonka truck
]

        then you've either got to learn to do it right or live with your
mistakes.  Every one on this list who knows how to do the above got there by
doing it, making mistakes, learning from them, and doing it right.  Some
people probably even arranged that their mistakes be in testing setups
rather than live.

        Having said that... splitting control of primary/secondary between
two people is a setup that does ask for mistakes to be made.  And handing
off secondary to your ISP is asking to be shot in the head.

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]