> Have a strange problem with qmail-smtpd.. when i use pine
> to send a mail from my mailserver..it stands for a long
> time waiting before it sends the mail, same when i telnet
> to port 25 from the mailserver to the mailserver...it takes
> a while before the "220 hostname ESMTP" comes up..
>
> But if i send or telnet from another host it goes right away...
>
> Anyone have a pointer what might be wrong?

        You are probably starting qmail-smtpd using tcpserver, and the
default "-r" option is causing it to attempt to connect to the ident server
on the host you are connecting from.  Unless you specify "-R" in your
tcpserver command line, it will do this, and then will wait for 26 seconds
if there is no ident server answering the call.  (You can read all about
this in the tcpserver man page).

        You can fix this by turning off the TCPREMOTEINFO (ident) checks, or
by running ident on your mailserver.

--
      gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]