Hello,

I've searched the archives on this topic and though there are a lot of
people who have reported this issue, I have not really seen a solution yet.

I have a Linux box (Redhad 5.?) which I use as a firewall/server/NAT
machine.  One ethernet card is connected to an ADSL modem and has a fixed IP
address.  The other ethernet card is connected to a mini-hub and has the
address of 192.168.1.1.  I have a set of Mac's connected to the hub with
addresses 192.168.1.100 and up.

I've got Qmail running just great for both SMTP and POP!!  However, as soon
as I activate my firewall (using ipchains), sending or receiving email from
a local machine takes over 3 minutes!!

In the archives, some people have speculated that this is a DNS issue or a
problem with auth.  I have TCP port 113 (auth) opened to the world (local
and internet) and am still having a problem.  I suspect that there must be
some other port I need to open up.  Does anyone have a suggestion of where I
can go from here?  I am a bit new to Qmail and not too familiar with the
debugging tools.

By the way, I do not have DNS active on my Linux box and am relying on my
ISP's DNS server (they have my domain name set up in their server).

Doug