On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 01:08:36AM -0700, Doug Oucharek wrote:
> I've got Qmail running just great for both SMTP and POP!!  However, as soon
> as I activate my firewall (using ipchains), sending or receiving email from
> a local machine takes over 3 minutes!!
>
> In the archives, some people have speculated that this is a DNS issue or a
> problem with auth.  I have TCP port 113 (auth) opened to the world (local

I have had similar problems for one of two reasons:
a) DNS lookups were failing because port 53 was blocked out (make sure to
   include UDP packets as well)

   ipchains -A bad-dmz    -s 0/0 53 -p tcp  -j ACCEPT
   ipchains -A bad-dmz    -s 0/0 53 -p udp  -j ACCEPT
b) ICMP messages were being blocked.

   ipchains -A forward -p icmp                     -j ACCEPT

I don't remember, but I think this is mentioned in the ipchains HOWTO at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

Hope this helps.

   Aijaz.

--
===  =   Aijaz Ansari.  ENoor Creations, Inc.
======   Internet Software and Hosting