Dave Sill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >OK, starting to get somewhere here.  Setting QMAILHOST has stopped my
> >outgoing messages from bouncing.  That now works.

[...]

> See http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html#procmail for some tips for
> running procmail under qmail.

Thanks ... Nice page.  Not sure I understand why qmail strips out the
`^From '  line though.  Necessitating hacks and add on guff, like
`preline'.

> >Local delivery still does not work as I expected.  Logged in as reader
> >and calling:
> > echo to: reader | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
> >Dutifully delivers a message to ~/Mailbox
> >
> >However, if I su -l to root, get roots env, and then call:
> > echo to: reader | /var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject
> >The message is *not* dutifully delivered although the log messages look
> >as if it has been.
>
> Curious...
>
> >  Jul 27 05:00:27 satellite qmail: 964699227.933357 delivery 21:
> >  success:
> >
>procmail:_[2844]_Thu_Jul_27_05:00:27_2000/procmail:_Assigning_"LOGFILE=/home/reader/.procmail.log"/procmail:_Opening_"/home/reader/.procmail.log"/did_0+0+1/
>
> This appears to a case where qmail and procmail disagree about the
> meaning of "success". See the link above. Basically, what's happening
> is that the procmail delivery failed for some reason (see procmail's
> logs), but procmail isn't returning an exit status that qmail
> interprets as indicating a failure.

Actually that was not the case, although a good guess.  It was simpler.
The old `brain dead operator syndrom' .  I had a .procmailrc script in
place with a spam filter that was seeing messages to
`[EMAIL PROTECTED]' as spam since it was not to
`[EMAIL PROTECTED]', and placing in a spam.in spool.  So exit codes
were being seen correctly.

> >Further, eventhough I've symlinked `binmail' to the
> >/var/qmail/bin/sendmail binary.
>
> Huh? binmail should be calling /usr/lib/sendmail, which should be
> linked to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail. Linking /var/qmail/bin/sendmail to
> binmail is wrong.

OOOPS, should have delineated more clearly.  I meant:

/usr/sbin/sendmail --> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail

> >    cat .bashrc|mail -s TEST reader
> > No message appears in /home/reader/Mailbox
> > Although log messages look as if it has been delivered:

> Again, see the procmail logs.

Yup, more operator error, all messages were nicely filed in a `spam.in' spool.

It seems I've got things working now... With lots of help from this
list.  Thanks to all posters.