[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 30 July 2000 at 21:21:19 -0700
 > On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 11:06:38PM -0500, Ben Beuchler wrote:
 > > I understand from DJB's website that TAI is a better way to deal with
 > > time functions than the typical unix localtime().  However, it seems to
 > > make a lot of things really awkward when it is used as the time stamp in
 > > a log file.
 >
 > Really? If I want to tail a log file, eg, I go like this:
 >
 > tail ../someservice/current | tai64nlocal
 >
 > and it all looks fine for humans.

Yeah, it works fine for people who check log files by tailing them.  I
check them by bringing them into an emacs buffer, so the funny
timestamps make them darned near useless.

I actually find second resolution entirely adequate for log entries;
the great detail TAI provides is just wasted space to me, and
displaces other, more useful, information from the screen.
--
Photos: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/ Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon
Bookworms: http://ouroboros.demesne.com/ SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b