On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 06:24:14PM -0400, ameuse wrote:
> Hello qmailers,
>
> I am intermittantly getting this message and others like it in
> /var/log/maillog
>
> Aug 14 18:04:44 966290676.970269qmail qmail: delivery 143: deferral:
> Sorry,_I_wasn't_ able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)

There is nothing wrong with this. All it means is that the remote
system couldn't accept the SMTP connection at that time. qmail simply
tries again later on.

> Everything was working fine when I had a Sendmail server as the primary
> MX and it was just forwarding all mail to the qmail server. Now that the
> Sendmail is gone and the qmail server is alone as the primary MX and I
> am getting these messages every other time I try to send mail. The mail

Show us the log that shows that it's "every other time" please.

> just vanishes. no bounce or anything. It happens with internal or
> external mail.

"Just vanishes"? Are you sure it's not still in the queue? What
does qmail-qread show you? Did you check to see whether there was a
later delivery attempt that succeeeded?

qmail is not known to have messages "just vanish". They are either
being delivered, bounced or they are still in your queue.

> tcpserver setup is like:

tcpserver is totally irrelevant to sending to remote servers.

Have a closer look at your logs files. They tell you what's going on.

Regards.