Hello,

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 10:28:48AM -0500, Mate Wierdl wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 09:55:53AM -0500, Ben Beuchler wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 07:08:28AM -0500, Mate Wierdl wrote:
> > > but would not it be relatively simple to implement a server software
> > > using tcpserver that would just lookup an IP number in a .cdb database
> > > of IP numbers, and send an appropriate response?  A client might be

hmm. I don't understand the question. For ucspi-tcp-0.88, I get
from http://cr.yp.to/ucspi-tcp/rblsmtpd.html (slightly wrapped):

----------------- cut

    -r base: Use base as an RBL source. An IP address a.b.c.d
    is listed by that source if d.c.b.a.base has a TXT record.
    rblsmtpd uses the contents of the TXT record as an error
    message for the client.
----------------- cut

and:

----------------- cut
You may supply any number of -r and -a options. rblsmtpd tries
each source in turn until it finds one that lists or anti-lists
$TCPREMOTEIP. It also tries an RBL source of rbl.maps.vix.com
if you do not supply any -r options. See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/
for more information about rbl.maps.vix.com.

If you want to run your own RBL source or anti-RBL source for
rblsmtpd, you can use rbldns from the djbdns package.
----------------- cut

I didn't try this, but imho this clearly says "-r maps.vix.com
gets you the default behaviour of asking Paul Vixie".

So, what's the problem? You need to axfr the zone from somewhere
and massage that into a cdb the rbldns would probably use.
That could be done with a cron job. How much mail you then
deny is up to you...

But that's one thing every sysadmin has to decide for oneself,
do I have a default closed (-c) or open (-C) setup when my
rbl servers fail?

Best Regards,
--Toni++