As I have actually used both vmailmgr and vpopmail, I may be able to provide
some comparison information.  It boils down to: I've switched to using
vpopmail these days.

vpopmail doesn't have an RPM, which kind of sucks.  Making an RPM is hard
because vpopmail compiles the user ID of the "vpopmail" account into the
binary.  I started on some patches to fix this, but ran out of time.

vmailmgr DOES work with RPMs.  However, the CGI web interface that comes with
it is incomplete to the point of not functioning.  Add undocumented...  I
ended up having to dig through the code, and then modify the CGIs so I could
even use them...  Virtual domains are set up under a user account.  Domain
administration is done by providing that user's system password to the
CGI.  Naughty...

vpopmail stores all the virtuals under a single "vpopmail" user home
directory (or optionally in another location).  No system access is
required for virtual domains or their maintenance.  Also, vpopmail
has a nifty option where you can set up virtual IPs for each domain and
vpopmail will resolve "user myname" correctly instead of requiring
"user [EMAIL PROTECTED]"...

>virtual users

vmailmgr: virtual domains are hosted under a particular user id.
        Uses system password for CGI-access to virtual domain.
vpopmail: all virtuals stored under a single user ID/directory.

>databases for users and aliases

Yes for both.

>pop access
>imap access

I had no problems setting up POP or IMAP for either.

>quota support

I believe both support quotas but I haven't used them.

>html-mail-administration

vmailmgr: Non-functional demo CGIs provided, which require some time to
        install and get working.
vpopmail: QMailAdmin is full-featured and works well.  A separate package
        from the main vpopmail distribution.

>webmail

I've had a hell of a time getting webmail going with vmailmgr.  Most of
them are overly complex to set up or require either PHP4 or a boatload of
Perl modules.  I've spent days trying out probably half a dozen or more
different packages.  IMP has a fairly complex setup, and just fell on it's
face when I followed the install instructions.  AeroMail isn't well
maintained, but is VERY simple and easy to use.  I spent hours trying
to get a PHP4 RPM installed, and never could get one that was functional.

I was able to get vpopmail and sqwebmail up and running rather quickly.
I tried looking at getting sqwebmail to use the vmailmgr authentication
scheme, but didn't have any luck in the limited time I had to muck around
with it.

>I did not see webmail in the vmailmgr package, does sqwebmail run with the
>vmailmgr without problems?

I wasn't able to get it to do so.  It reads mail directly out of the
Maildirs, so it doesn't use POP/IMAP for authentication.  That means
it has to support the vmailmgr auth scheme, which as far as I can tell
it does not.

Sean
--
 [...] who asked "Why do we do it, this science?"  No one had an answer until
 I stood up and said "Isn't there money in a Nobel?"  -- Steve Martin