qmail Digest 25 Jan 2001 11:00:00 -0000 Issue 1255

Topics (messages 55846 through 55910):

Re: qmail-ldap
        55846 by: Pedro Melo

conf-split
        55847 by: Peter van Dijk
        55862 by: Peter van Dijk
        55869 by: Markus Stumpf
        55885 by: James R Grinter
        55887 by: Peter van Dijk

Re: large todo queue - HELP!
        55848 by: Markus Stumpf
        55849 by: Peter van Dijk

maildirwatch
        55850 by: Rohit Gupta
        55851 by: Jose AP Celestino

qmail and McAfee?
        55852 by: Bill Parker
        55853 by: Barry Smoke
        55854 by: Brett Randall
        55855 by: Olivier M.

preline:_fatal:_unable_to_run_procmail:_file_does_not_exist/
        55856 by: Jesse Sunday
        55857 by: Dave Sill

Unable to chdir (4.2.1)
        55858 by: Alex Le Fevre
        55859 by: David Dyer-Bennet

problems with test.receive
        55860 by: rocael.usa.net
        55861 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Why so few qmail-remote processes
        55863 by: Jacques <Frip'> WERNERT
        55871 by: Markus Stumpf

multiple simultaneous pop3 connections from aol.com
        55864 by: Albert Hopkins
        55870 by: Charles Cazabon

Re: Microsoft Down???
        55865 by: jsunday.slice.parview.com
        55866 by: Hubbard, David
        55867 by: Virginia Chism
        55872 by: Greg Owen

Re: Special Routing setup
        55868 by: Dave Sill

Re: Maildir in /etc/skel ?
        55873 by: Jurjen Oskam
        55874 by: Kris Kelley

alias domain
        55875 by: Clemens Hermann
        55876 by: Markus Stumpf

queue is empty, but qmail still complains
        55877 by: Charles Cazabon
        55878 by: Keary Suska
        55883 by: Charles Cazabon
        55886 by: Markus Stumpf
        55888 by: Charles Cazabon
        55889 by: Peter van Dijk
        55890 by: Charles Cazabon
        55891 by: Peter van Dijk
        55892 by: Markus Stumpf
        55893 by: Charles Cazabon
        55894 by: Peter van Dijk
        55896 by: paul.anastrophe.com

qmail-pop3d and fetchmail
        55879 by: Eng. Ramy M. Hassan

pop3d and tcpserver and qmail
        55880 by: Register, Dadrien
        55881 by: Caspar Bothmer
        55882 by: Markus Stumpf

Re: [OT] pine and Maildir (was: Maildir versus malibox)
        55884 by: James R Grinter
        55895 by: Adam McKenna
        55898 by: Peter Cavender
        55900 by: Russ Allbery
        55901 by: Peter Cavender

Re: FIXED, I/O error (was: queue is empty, but qmail still complains)
        55897 by: Charles Cazabon

cannot deliver to new sub-domain
        55899 by: Vincent Danen
        55902 by: Chris Johnson
        55903 by: Vincent Danen

add users script for qmail, system, & samba
        55904 by: Andrew Alford

A lot of Temporary_error_on_maildir_delivery
        55905 by: Kaj-Michael Lang

rblsmtpd
        55906 by: Agi Subagio
        55908 by: Robin S. Socha

Qmailadmin
        55907 by: fred
        55909 by: Sean Reifschneider
        55910 by: Robin S. Socha

Administrivia:

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To bug my human owner, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 12:49:10PM +0000, Jose AP Celestino wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 01:43:24PM +0100, Carlos Caba?as wrote:
> >

> >  Hi,
> > I am trying to install ldap-qmail.Can anybody tell me what this error means
> > (i have created the ldapserver file and ldap is working)
> >

> > @400000003a62f02e3387df24 alert: cannot start qmail-lspawn or it had an
> > error! Check if ~control/ldapserver exists.
> > The permissions of this file are ok.

Got that one yesterday...

Just make sure the PATH includes the location of the binaries... eg:
export PATH=/var/qmail/bin:$PATH
qmail-start ./Maildir/ splogger qmail

By

--
Pedro Melo Cunha - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Novis - Dir. Rede - ISP - Infraes. Portal <http://www.novis.pt/>

Are there any negative sideeffects of setting conf-split too high?

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:44:06PM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> Are there any negative sideeffects of setting conf-split too high?

Yes there are (answering my own post). Scanning todo/ takes longer, if
you are using the big-todo patch, because every subdir has to be
scanned, instead of just one dir.

Where *is* the benefit in the big-todo patch?

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:59:26PM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> Yes there are (answering my own post). Scanning todo/ takes longer, if
> you are using the big-todo patch, because every subdir has to be
> scanned, instead of just one dir.
>
> Where *is* the benefit in the big-todo patch?

I think the benefit is with OSs having poor directory access routines.
As directories are scanned on a linear basis access is faster scanning
two small directories than one very big one. Also modifications in
the small directories (adding/removing files) will be faster.
And (not sure about that, though) the first level directory is held
in the filesystem cache as it has lots of accesses but does (usually)
not change.
However IIRC this patch is mostly (only?) a benefit with Linux' ext2
filesystem.

        \Maex

Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I think the benefit is with OSs having poor directory access routines.

Such as Solaris/UFS (and, to my knowledge, all the *BSDs that use UFS
have not improved this much either.)

> As directories are scanned on a linear basis access is faster scanning
> two small directories than one very big one. Also modifications in
> the small directories (adding/removing files) will be faster.

UFS code, when looking for a filename, checks for a matching size,
then a matching first letter, second letter, and the rest: so it's
sub-optimal to have all your files in a single directory with the same
filename length and starting letters (as everyone running INN
eventually found out.) Each stat() or open() is a linear scan through
the directory to find the file.

> And (not sure about that, though) the first level directory is held
> in the filesystem cache as it has lots of accesses but does (usually)
> not change.

Whilst qmail-queue is scanning over todo/ I'd expect it to remain in
the various caches, with or without splitting up the directories.

Indeed, qmail already uses a split queue/mess/ directory structure and
it was a bit of an omission to assume that there would never be a
surge of mail in one go (VERP list expansion is definitely good for
creating this situation) and thus many messages in todo/ at once.

Further more, when there are many messages in todo/ the processing
overwhelmes the rest of the work that qmail-queue normally does and
slows down outbound deliveries to a crawl. All it takes is one of the
first people on a list to reply quickly and then you get another list
delivery, and yet more messages in todo/. Very messy business.

I've just started working on trying to collect (and thereby graph) as
much data as I can on qmail's operation - but one thing that isn't
recorded in the logs is the time between todo/ creation by
qmail-inject and 'new msg'.

If anyone has previously made changes to the code to accomplish this,
could they let me know and/or give me some pointers? Otherwise I'll
have to go digging. (Any patches to qmail-smtpd to log useful things
would also be of help to me: I've seen, and am looking at Maex's code.)

James.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 02:12:32AM +0000, James R Grinter wrote:
[snip]
> Indeed, qmail already uses a split queue/mess/ directory structure and
> it was a bit of an omission to assume that there would never be a
> surge of mail in one go (VERP list expansion is definitely good for
> creating this situation) and thus many messages in todo/ at once.

VERP expansion happens on delivery, not on queue injection, unless you
are doing something very wrong.

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:59:04AM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> The todo-queue is *slowly* getting smaller (71288 now, compared to 71690
> when I started typing), but the complete queue is growing (100121
> now).

What I did once was to compile an identical copy of qmail but with
another location of the queue directory (however on the same physical
disk) and install it.
Compile a copy of qmail with big todo.
Stop all qmail services (also smtp)

Now, rm -r the queue directory of the identical copy and "mv" the queue
directory of the original qmail there.

Install qmail with big todo.

start qmail-send  for the bigtodo and the copy.
start smtpd for bigtodo only.

With this procedure you get the queue "out of the way", have a new,
fresh one that will work (hopefully) fast and the old one will get
smaller with the time.

HTH,
        \Maex

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 12:44:16PM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> What I did once was to compile an identical copy of qmail but with
> another location of the queue directory (however on the same physical
> disk) and install it.
> Compile a copy of qmail with big todo.
> Stop all qmail services (also smtp)
>
> Now, rm -r the queue directory of the identical copy and "mv" the queue
> directory of the original qmail there.
>
> Install qmail with big todo.
>
> start qmail-send  for the bigtodo and the copy.
> start smtpd for bigtodo only.
>
> With this procedure you get the queue "out of the way", have a new,
> fresh one that will work (hopefully) fast and the old one will get
> smaller with the time.

Sounds similar to my current plan. What I'm gonna do:
- compile a qmail with suitable conf-split, put it in /var/qmail2.
- run smtpd 'n stuff from qmail2
- let /var/qmail/queue slowly empty (the original qmail-send runs too)
- when /var/qmail/queue is empty, upgrade conf-split on
  /var/qmail/queue, switch services over to /var/qmail again
- let /var/qmail2/queue empty
- get rid of /var/qmail2

The main cause for this is that I have a dedicated queue disk so I
can't move the queue around easily. The qmail2 will use a spare 4.5gb
partition on the first disk.

In the meantime a co-worker is building a second box to go alongside
this one, to lighten the load forever (and to not be without if this
one dies).

Greetz, Peter.

could anybody pls help me out with maildirwatch command and the env variables associated with it...
or rather give me an example on how to use it..

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:40:22PM -0800, Rohit Gupta wrote:
> could anybody pls help me out with maildirwatch command and the env variables
>associated with it...
> or rather give me an example on how to use it..

maildirwatch, hum, watches your Maildir for new mail.

it takes no parameters but you have to "give it" the MAILDIR variable, for instance:

export MAILDIR=/home/gandalf
/var/qmail/bin/maildirwatch

Regards.

--
Jose AP Celestino  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  || SAPO / PT Multimedia
Administração de Sistemas / Operações || http://www.sapo.pt

Hi All,

        I was wondering, is it possible to run McAfee Anti-Virus for Linux (it can
monitor
smtp and pop3 stuff) and qmail at the same time.  I have the tarball on a
McAfee CD-ROM
for use and installation.  Has anyone on the list done this, and if so, can
someone give
me a few pointers?

-Bill

amavis.org
it is a wrapper that works with qmail to send all mail messages to the virus
scanner, and bounce if they contain a virus.
it is awesome!!

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>       I was wondering, is it possible to run McAfee Anti-Virus for
>       Linux (it can monitor smtp and pop3 stuff) and qmail at the
>       same time.  I have the tarball on a McAfee CD-ROM for use
>       and installation.  Has anyone on the list done this, and if
>       so, can someone give me a few pointers?

I know this was just answered, but why, oh why, do people not check
www.qmail.org 's HUGE list of things that qmail can do BEFORE they
post here? Or search the archives? Faster for the both of us...
--
  B r e t t  R a n d a l l
   http://xbox.ipsware.com/

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 06:01:02AM -0800, Bill Parker wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>       I was wondering, is it possible to run McAfee Anti-Virus for Linux (it can
> monitor

sure : check qmail-scanner :
http://qmail-scanner.sourceforge.org

Olivier
 Olivier Mueller - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - PGPkeyID: 0E84D2EA - Switzerland
qmail projects: http://omail.omnis.ch  -  http://webmail.omnis.ch

starting delivery 26: msg 92275 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
delivery 26: failure:
preline:_fatal:_unable_to_run_procmail:_file_does_not_exist/
status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
bounce msg 92275 qp 27352
end msg 92275

            Does this look familiar to anyone???

"Jesse Sunday" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>starting delivery 26: msg 92275 to local [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>status: local 1/10 remote 0/20
>delivery 26: failure:
>preline:_fatal:_unable_to_run_procmail:_file_does_not_exist/
>status: local 0/10 remote 0/20
>bounce msg 92275 qp 27352
>end msg 92275
>

>            Does this look familiar to anyone???

Yeah, that looks like what you get when preline can't find
procmail. :-) Try specifying the full path to procmail.

-Dave

I've got a working qmail system up and running now --
but only one user on it gets mail. All the other users
I'm trying are getting the error "Unable to chdir to
maildir (4.2.1)" in the maillog when trying to deliver
mail to them.

All of these undeliverable users have Maildirs in
their home directories, with cur, new and tmp
subdirectories, all of which are set to 0700 for
permissions. Each also has a .qmail file containing
./Maildir/, set to -rw-r--r-- for permissions.

Any idea why this would not be working? I followed
exactly the instructions people on this list gave me
before.

Also, where can I go to look up info when I get a
numbered error message such as 4.2.1 or 5.7.1
(RCPHosts-related)? I'd really like to not have to
bother this list every time something like that crops
up.

Alex

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Alex Le Fevre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes on 24 January 2001 at 08:03:09 -0800
 > I've got a working qmail system up and running now --
 > but only one user on it gets mail. All the other users
 > I'm trying are getting the error "Unable to chdir to
 > maildir (4.2.1)" in the maillog when trying to deliver
 > mail to them.
 >
 > All of these undeliverable users have Maildirs in
 > their home directories, with cur, new and tmp
 > subdirectories, all of which are set to 0700 for
 > permissions. Each also has a .qmail file containing
 > ./Maildir/, set to -rw-r--r-- for permissions.
 >
 > Any idea why this would not be working? I followed
 > exactly the instructions people on this list gave me
 > before.

What's the ownership of the Maildirs?  If you created them all as
root, for example, and didn't chown them, then they'd all be owned by
root.  qmail-local runs as the user, and wouldn't be able to access
the Maildir with permission 0700 unless it was owned by the user.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/

Hi all!
I have problems with qmail, I have been trying a few time to install qmail
without success. Now I followed "Life with qmail" and I stoped at step 2.9
about the Test Installation. In test.deliver everything seems to work fine
but
in test.receive nothing works. When I do telnet to the box "telnet localhost
25" I can stablish the conection, but my users doesn't receive any mail. When
I wrote RCPT TO:[EMAIL PROTECTED] I got the following message:

   553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

but the rare is that in control/rcpthosts I have defined mydomain.com
Any guide?

Also when I send an email from my usual mail I says that it had a failture.
What could be?
Thanks for the help!
 Rocael.

P.D. here is more info about my system

ps ax | grep qmail
 1847 pts/1    S      0:00 supervise qmail-send
 1849 pts/1    S      0:29 supervise qmail-smtpd
 1851 pts/1    S      0:00 /usr/local/bin/multilog t /var/log/qmail
 1852 pts/1    S      0:03 /usr/local/bin/multilog t /var/log/qmail/smtpd
 1854 pts/1    S      0:00 qmail-send
 1866 pts/1    S      0:00 qmail-lspawn ./Mailbox
 1867 pts/1    S      0:00 qmail-rspawn
 1868 pts/1    S      0:00 qmail-clean
20649 pts/1    S      0:00 grep qmail

qmail-showctl
qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 120.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 10003, 10004, 10005, 0, 10006, 10007, 10008, 10009.
group ids: 10006, 10007.

badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is mydomain.com.

concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.

concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: Default domain name is mydomain.com.

defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is mydomain.com.

doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: mydomain.com.

doublebounceto: (Default.) 2B recipient user: postmaster.

envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is mydomain.com.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is mydomain.com.

idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is mydomain.com.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes mydomain.com.

locals:
Messages for roc.mydomain.com are delivered locally.
Messages for mydomain.com are delivered locally.

me: My name is mydomain.com.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: Plus domain name is mydomain.com.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: (Default.) Message lifetime in the queue is 604800 seconds.

rcpthosts:
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at roc.mydomain.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at mydomain.com.

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 mydomain.com.

smtproutes: (Default.) No artificial SMTP routes.

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

virtualdomains: (Default.) No virtual domains.

defaultdelivery: I have no idea what this file does.

In /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current  I got a lot of lines like this
@400000003a6df5b40ea09354 tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already
used
@400000003a6df5b41004cea4 tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already
used
@400000003a6df5b4116f479c tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already
used

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In /var/log/qmail/smtpd/current  I got a lot of lines like this
> @400000003a6df5b40ea09354 tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already
> used

Something is already listening on port 25.  Did you remember to stop/remove
sendmail?  Remove the sendmail line from inetd.conf and HUP inetd.

Charles

Hello,

I think I've found some explanations.

In the thoughts file, I've found:

qmail-send doesn't have any notions of precedence, priority, fairness,
importance, etc. It handles the queue in first-seen-first-served order.
One could put a lot of work into doing something different, but that
work would be a waste: given the triggering mechanism and qmail's
deferral strategy, it is exceedingly rare for the queue to contain more
than one deliverable message at any given moment.

Exception: Even with all the concurrency tricks, qmail-send can end up
spending a few minutes on a mailing list with thousands of remote
entries. A user might send a new message to a remote address in the
meantime. The simplest way to handle this would be to put big messages
on a separate channel.
So I'll make a test with "queuelifetime=0" to see if my number of
qmail-remote will increase dramatically.

Regards

Frip'

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:06:30PM +0100, Jacques <Frip'> WERNERT wrote:
> So I'll make a test with "queuelifetime=0" to see if my number of
> qmail-remote will increase dramatically.

You surely DON'T want to do this.
This will cause every message that cannot be delivered with the first
try to be bounced back to the sender as a failure.

        \Maex

Is anyone else experiencing this?  If I do a netstat on our internet mail
relay i can see multiple ESTABLISHED pop3 connections from different IP
addresses from AOL.  Being a corporate mail server, I find it difficult to
believe there are, say 28, people off site using AOL to POP mail.

Is there a solution to these simultaneous connections?  I don't see
anything peculiar in the log files.

--
                                                     Albert Hopkins
                                             Sr. Systems Specialist

Albert Hopkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is anyone else experiencing this?  If I do a netstat on our internet mail
> relay i can see multiple ESTABLISHED pop3 connections from different IP
> addresses from AOL.  Being a corporate mail server, I find it difficult to
> believe there are, say 28, people off site using AOL to POP mail.
>
> Is there a solution to these simultaneous connections?  I don't see
> anything peculiar in the log files.

One possibility is that some script kiddies are trying password-guessing
attacks against your POP3 server, in the hopes of finding a system
account password.

You can use recordio to log the contents of these suspicious POP3 sessions
if you want.

Charles

Can anyone ping (or otherwise connect to www.microsoft.com ???)

I can't get that or any other microsoft site to respond...   ???

Jesse

That's what happens when you run Microsoft products. :-)
Seriously though, there is an article on CNET this
morning about the outage, MS hasn't had any comment
yet but it's affecting many of their highprofile sites.
Evidently their .uk site is still up and has some
kind of statement about this.

Dave

I can't get that or any other microsoft site to respond...   ???

Jesse

Found this on Netscape "news:"

                     Microsoft
                     Sites Offline
                     Microsoft confirmed
                     Wednesday that
                     several of its online
                     sites were unavailable
                     and have been down
                     for hours.
                     Read the Story

Microsoft sites offline for hours

 By Melanie Austria Farmer
 Special to ZDNet
 UPDATED January 24, 2001 8:29 AM PT
 Microsoft confirmed on Wednesday that a number of its online sites are
currently
 unavailable and have been down for a number of hours.

 Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) is temporarily experiencing problems with its
various Web
 properties, including Microsoft.com, MSN.com, WindowsMedia.com,
Encarta.com,
 Carpoint.com and Expedia.com, said Adam Sohn, a company spokesman.

 "Customers aren't able to get to some Microsoft Web properties," said Sohn.
"We're working
 as quickly as we can to resolve those
I can't get that or any other microsoft site to respond...   ???

Jesse

> Can anyone ping (or otherwise connect to www.microsoft.com ???)
>
> I can't get that or any other microsoft site to respond...   ???

        Their DNS is being fscked.  These links surfaced on the djbdns list:

http://www.wirednews.com/news/business/0,1367,41387,00.html
http://computerworld.com/cwi/story/0%2C1199%2CNAV47_STO56817_NLTam%2C00.html

--
        gowen -- Greg Owen -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
              SoftLock.com is now DigitalGoods!

Lieven Van Acker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>There are a number of customers, whose incoming and outgoing e-mail must be
>rerouted via a central service that provides virus-scanning. As these
>customers are connected each to various ISP's, and we want to provide the
>virus-scanning service (and eventually other mail processing services), all
>mail should be routed through one relay host (MYRELAY), the one I have to
>setup. The virus-scanning is provided by a third party  relay host
>(PROCRELAY) who will accept smtp-connections from our relay host, process the
>mail and route it back to the final destination.

OK, so you want all messages that pass through MYRELAY to loop once
through PROCRELAY before final delivery? You could use a general
processing mechanism like the one described here:

  http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/2142/fid/290

You might also be able to tweak one of the spam or virus checking
modifications to intercept messages that haven't been through
PROCRELAY and forward them there.

>Because I have to route the mail on MYRELAY depending on where the previous
>mail-hop was, I think I have to run 2 different mailprocesses, and use
>portforwarding based on the smtp conversations client host.

That would work. I'm not sure which approach would be best.

-Dave

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:41:01 -0800 (PST), Al Sparks
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>--- Pupeno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Is it posible to create Maildir in /etc/skel/ (maildirmake /etc/skel/Maildir)
>I don't know.  You could easily experiment and see if it works.

I have and it works great. Just a maildirmake in /etc/skel,
doublecheck the permissions and you're off. Make a .qmail file there
that points to the Maildir, too. :-)
end
--
    Jurjen Oskam * carnivore! * http://www.stupendous.org/ for PGP key
assassinate nuclear iraq clinton kill bomb USA eta ira cia fbi nsa kill

Jurjen Oskam wrote:
> I have and it works great. Just a maildirmake in /etc/skel,
> doublecheck the permissions and you're off. Make a .qmail file there
> that points to the Maildir, too. :-)

The .qmail file would be unnecessary, provided you set up proper default
delivery instructions in your /var/qmail/rc script (or wherever you execute
qmail-start).

---Kris Kelley

Hi,

I want to have an alias domain for an existing domain. I have several
mail users for my existiung domain and want to use the same users on my
new domain. E.g [EMAIL PROTECTED] shold automatically be accessible
via [EMAIL PROTECTED] Can I do this by just adding the new domain to
virtualdomains with the same user then the existing domain or is there a
better solution? I am also using vmailmgr.

thanks

/ch

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:36:34PM +0100, Clemens Hermann wrote:
> Can I do this by just adding the new domain to
> virtualdomains with the same user then the existing domain

Yes.    \Maex

Greetings,

Here's an interesting one.  On one of our lesser-used development boxes, we're
using an older version of Bruce Guenter's qmail+patches RPMs -- release 7,
which is mostly qmail, plus Russ Nelson's big-todo, and a few of Bruce's
convenience patches (like qmail-owners).

Here's what I don't understand:  my queue is currently empty.  However, qmail
is still complaining about being unable to stat files in the mess/
subdirectories, even after a fresh start.  I've run queue-fix (with the
big-todo patch) on the queue, and it reports no problems.  I've included the
output of a shell session which particularly bothers me.

Where is qmail getting the idea that these files should exist?

Charles

---output of shell---

[root@charon queue]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail stop
Stopping qmail:  done.
[root@charon queue]# ps auxw | grep qmail
[root@charon queue]# pwd
/var/qmail/queue
[root@charon queue]# find . -type f
./lock/sendmutex
./lock/tcpto
[root@charon queue]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/qmail start
Starting qmail:  done.
[root@charon queue]# tail /var/log/maillog
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.839878 warning: unable to stat mess/13/13
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.841153 warning: unable to stat mess/14/14
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.841305 warning: unable to stat mess/15/15
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.841445 warning: unable to stat mess/16/16
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.841572 warning: unable to stat mess/17/17
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.845169 warning: unable to stat mess/18/18
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.845323 warning: unable to stat mess/19/19
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.845463 warning: unable to stat mess/20/20
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.848179 warning: unable to stat mess/21/21
Jan 24 16:02:49 charon qmail: 980373769.851135 warning: unable to stat mess/22/22

And output of qmail-showctl, for completeness:

[root@charon queue]# qmail-showctl
qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 120.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 101, 102, 103, 0, 104, 105, 106, 107.
group ids: 16, 11.

aliasempty:
Default delivery target contains: |dot-forward .forward
Default delivery target contains: |preline procmail

badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.

bindroutes: (Default.) No binding routes.

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is charon.qcc.sk.ca.

checkpassword: (Default.) Password checking program is checkpassword.

concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.

concurrencypop3d: (Default.) POP-3 daemon concurrency is 20.

concurrencyqmqpd: (Default.) QMQP daemon concurrency is 20.

concurrencyqmtpd: (Default.) QMTP daemon concurrency is 20.

concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.

concurrencysmtpd: (Default.) SMTP daemon concurrency is 20.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: Default domain name is qcc.sk.ca.

defaulthost: Default host name is qcc.sk.ca.

doublebouncehost: 2B recipient host: qcc.sk.ca.

doublebounceto: (Default.) 2B recipient user: postmaster.

envnoathost: Presumed domain name is qcc.sk.ca.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is charon.qcc.sk.ca.
idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is charon.qcc.sk.ca.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes charon.qcc.sk.ca.

locals:
Messages for localhost are delivered locally.
Messages for charon.qcc.sk.ca are delivered locally.
Messages for skgov.qcc.sk.ca are delivered locally.
Messages for www.skgov.qcc.sk.ca are delivered locally.
Messages for search.skgov.qcc.sk.ca are delivered locally.
Messages for www.search.skgov.qcc.sk.ca are delivered locally.

logger: (Default.) Logging is done via: splogger.

me: My name is charon.qcc.sk.ca.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: Plus domain name is qcc.sk.ca.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: (Default.) Message lifetime in the queue is 604800 seconds.

rcpthosts:
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at localhost.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at charon.qcc.sk.ca.

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 charon.qcc.sk.ca.

smtproutes: (Default.) No artificial SMTP routes.

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

ulimitcpu: (Default.) Maximum amount of CPU time in seconds is unlimited.

ulimitdata: (Default.) Maximum process data size in kbytes is unlimited.

virtualdomains: (Default.) No virtual domains.

Qmail stores references to messages in multiple locations in the queue. What
this error likely means is that there are references to messages in the todo
directory that don't exist in the mess directory. Find the messages via
something like find /var/qmail/queue -name '*MESSAGEID*' where MESSAGEID is
the id number of the message. Delete every instance of the troublesome
message ID's.

-K

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste
good with ketchup."

Keary Suska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Qmail stores references to messages in multiple locations in the queue. What
> this error likely means is that there are references to messages in the todo
> directory that don't exist in the mess directory. Find the messages via
> something like find /var/qmail/queue -name '*MESSAGEID*' where MESSAGEID is
> the id number of the message. Delete every instance of the troublesome
> message ID's.

Actually, I'm quite aware of this -- that's why in my original message,
I posted (among other things) the result of `find /var/qmail/queue -type f`
showing that there are _no_ files in the queue directory other than
lock/tcpto and lock/sendmutex.  queue-fix (with the big-todo patch) says
the queue is fine.

To sum up:  this is not simple queue corruption, caused by manually
removing files in the queue hierarchy.  Something distinctly odd is going
on.  I can stop qmail, verify no qmail processes are running, verify there
are no files in the queue structure other than the two mentioned above,
start qmail, and _still_ get error output about these particular files
in mess/*/ being missing.  Where is qmail getting the necessary state
information to determine that these files should exist?

I've also just noticed something else odd about the error messages -- aren't
the files in the split directories normally named by inode number?  In this
case, the "missing" files all share the names of the split directories that
qmail thinks they should be in -- i.e. mess/13/13, mess/14/14, etc.

Here's a listing of /var/qmail/queue/mess:

[root@charon mess]# pwd
/var/qmail/queue/mess
[root@charon mess]# ll
total 92
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 0/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Apr  9  1999 1/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 10/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 11/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 12/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jun 27  2000 13/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jun 27  2000 14/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jun 27  2000 15/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jun 27  2000 16/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jun 27  2000 17/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Feb 14  2000 18/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 May 11  2000 19/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Apr  9  1999 2/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jun 27  2000 20/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 21/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 22/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 3/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 4/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 5/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 6/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 7/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 8/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 9/

I just don't get it.  I've searched the archives of the list, and can't find
any occurrences of this.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be
causing this.

Charles

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:27:14PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> I've also just noticed something else odd about the error messages -- aren't
> the files in the split directories normally named by inode number?  In this
> case, the "missing" files all share the names of the split directories that
> qmail thinks they should be in -- i.e. mess/13/13, mess/14/14, etc.
> [ ... ]
> I just don't get it.  I've searched the archives of the list, and can't find
> any occurrences of this.  I'd appreciate any thoughts on what might be
> causing this.

Could it be the big-todo patch somehow failed?
Or - that you have a big-todo queue layout and the active qmail
installation (or at least qmail-send) uses the vanilla qmail structure.
Then it would think the subdirs in todo are files and tries to find the
corresponding files in queue/mess, which obviously would fail as this
are no files, but dirs?

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG               |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you

Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:27:14PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > I've also just noticed something else odd about the error messages -- aren't
> > the files in the split directories normally named by inode number?  In this
> > case, the "missing" files all share the names of the split directories that
> > qmail thinks they should be in -- i.e. mess/13/13, mess/14/14, etc.

> Could it be the big-todo patch somehow failed?
> Or - that you have a big-todo queue layout and the active qmail
> installation (or at least qmail-send) uses the vanilla qmail structure.
> Then it would think the subdirs in todo are files and tries to find the
> corresponding files in queue/mess, which obviously would fail as this
> are no files, but dirs?

That's the funny part -- this is a machine which has worked fine for two
years, and just recently started giving me this trouble.  I haven't changed
the qmail installation itself.

Charles

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:25:44PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
[snip]
> > Could it be the big-todo patch somehow failed?
> > Or - that you have a big-todo queue layout and the active qmail
> > installation (or at least qmail-send) uses the vanilla qmail structure.
> > Then it would think the subdirs in todo are files and tries to find the
> > corresponding files in queue/mess, which obviously would fail as this
> > are no files, but dirs?

Very good point.

> That's the funny part -- this is a machine which has worked fine for two
> years, and just recently started giving me this trouble.  I haven't changed
> the qmail installation itself.

Could you show us the output of
# ls -al /var/qmail/queue/todo
please, and tell is whether you're running with big-todo or not?

Greetz, Peter.

Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could you show us the output of
> # ls -al /var/qmail/queue/todo
> please, and tell is whether you're running with big-todo or not?

Indeed, big-todo is in use.  The output:

[root@charon /root]# ls -al /var/qmail/queue/todo
total 100
drwxr-x---  25 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:04 ./
drwxr-x---  11 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 21  2000 ../
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 0/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 1/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 10/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 11/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 12/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 13/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 14/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 15/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 16/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 17/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 18/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 19/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 2/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 20/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 21/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 22/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 3/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 4/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 5/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 6/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 7/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 8/
drwxr-x---   2 qmailq   qmail        4096 Jan 24 15:03 9/

Which seems right to me.  And in case:

[root@charon /root]# find /var/qmail/queue/todo -type f
[root@charon /root]#

Charles

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:40:46PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Could you show us the output of
> > # ls -al /var/qmail/queue/todo
> > please, and tell is whether you're running with big-todo or not?
>
> Indeed, big-todo is in use.  The output:

Ok, looks convincing. So, are you sure your qmail-send binary is
bigtodo-aware?

Greetz, Peter.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:25:44PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> That's the funny part -- this is a machine which has worked fine for two
> years, and just recently started giving me this trouble.  I haven't changed
> the qmail installation itself.

*smile* maybe the installation changed 1.5 years ago, but nobody restarted
qmail-send for that two years, now it happend and now there are problems
:-)

Unfortunately I can't imagine an easy way to tell whether a binary
is built with or without the big-todo patch :(

        \Maex

Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok, looks convincing. So, are you sure your qmail-send binary is
> bigtodo-aware?

It's an RPM that was built from Bruce Guenter's qmail-1.03+patches SRPM
about two years ago.  The same RPM was installed on many other machines
around that time, and has always worked -- and I haven't reinstalled
or updated this machine since that time.

Charles

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 03:46:48AM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:25:44PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > That's the funny part -- this is a machine which has worked fine for two
> > years, and just recently started giving me this trouble.  I haven't changed
> > the qmail installation itself.
>
> *smile* maybe the installation changed 1.5 years ago, but nobody restarted
> qmail-send for that two years, now it happend and now there are problems
> :-)
>
> Unfortunately I can't imagine an easy way to tell whether a binary
> is built with or without the big-todo patch :(

Well, to me, this situation seems quite clear. qmail-send sees the 23
todo dirs but doesn't notice those are dirs and not files. It then
goes look for the mess files in the hashed structure. Funnily, a file
named '14' will end up in dir '14' because that's how the modulo
function that qmail uses, works.

I can tell because I have been playing with conf-split and big-todo
*all day long* (it's been a looong day). The fun you get when having a
conf-split=211 compiled qmail-queue trying to queue into a 23-split
queuedir. Most queue attempts fail. Most that do succeed end up in
wrong dirs.

Had to script some evil perl to get everything back into the right
subdir. Was educational :)

Greetz, Peter.

this smells suspiciously to me like it may be a _hardware_ level problem.
Perhaps the disk has become inconsistent in a subtle way. Have you tried
fsck'ing the disk?

Charles Cazabon writes:

> Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:27:14PM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
>> > I've also just noticed something else odd about the error messages -- aren't
>> > the files in the split directories normally named by inode number?  In this
>> > case, the "missing" files all share the names of the split directories that
>> > qmail thinks they should be in -- i.e. mess/13/13, mess/14/14, etc.
>
>> Could it be the big-todo patch somehow failed?
>> Or - that you have a big-todo queue layout and the active qmail
>> installation (or at least qmail-send) uses the vanilla qmail structure.
>> Then it would think the subdirs in todo are files and tries to find the
>> corresponding files in queue/mess, which obviously would fail as this
>> are no files, but dirs?
>
> That's the funny part -- this is a machine which has worked fine for two
> years, and just recently started giving me this trouble.  I haven't changed
> the qmail installation itself.
>
> Charles
> --
> Charles Cazabon                            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> GPL'ed software available at:  http://www.qcc.sk.ca/~charlesc/software/
> Any opinions expressed are just that -- my opinions.

 ---------------------------------
Paul Theodoropoulos
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Syntactically Subversive Services, Inc.
http://www.anastrophe.net
Downtime Is Not An Option

I was trying to use fetchmail to retrieve messages from a pop3 account
on a server running qmail-pop3d using tcpserver and vchkpw. It retrieved
all the messages although I did not specify "--all" flag to fetchmail. I
tried several time and every time fetchmail retrieves all the messages
again and again.
I tried fetchmail with another pop3 account on a server running
sendmail/qpoper and it worked fine, only new messages was retrieved.
Anybody knows why that happens ?

Thanks.

I have looked in the archives everywhere. I am pretty sure I have this setup
correctly, but I can't revieve email from outside networks. I can recieve
email locally, so the qmail daemon seems to work. I'm pretty sure it has
something to do with pop3d and tcpserver. Also, the MX records are setup
correctly.

This is running on RedHat Linux 7.0

here's what I'm invoking for tcpserver.

/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -H -R 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup
endlessnetworks.com /bin/checkpasswd /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Mailbox &

I do have tcpserver installed, and checkpassword installed.

I need to be able to accept email for endlessnetworks.com. I have qmail
serup correctly... PLEASE!!! I need help bad. Any help is appreciated. Mail
be back here @ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S. This domain has nothing to do with Covad Corp. Thanx.

As far as I know qmail-pop3d only works with Maildir/ and you are using
Mailbox.

About the rest I am not able to say anything. Re-check your paths as I
didn't do that myself :-))

caspar

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:45:53PM -0800, Register, Dadrien wrote:
> correctly, but I can't revieve email from outside networks. I can recieve
> email locally, so the qmail daemon seems to work. I'm pretty sure it has
> something to do with pop3d and tcpserver. Also, the MX records are setup
> correctly.

To receive eMails you need a SMTP not a POP3 daemon.

You can start it like
   /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
        -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

Be sure to disable/kill smtp/sendmail in /etc/inetd.conf and and the system
startup scripts.

The best way to start up qmail is using daemontools. See
    http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#start-qmail
for examples.

        \Maex

--

"Pavel Kankovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Adam McKenna wrote:
>
> > The author of PINE flat out refuses to support Maildir.
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Umm...doesn't it sound familiar? ;)

But, it doesn't matter - Pine does IMAP right? (Isn't that it's real
reason for existence?) So hook your Maildirs up with IMAP, and point
Pine at that.

Seems pretty simple to me.

James.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:32:29AM +0000, James R Grinter wrote:
> But, it doesn't matter - Pine does IMAP right? (Isn't that it's real
> reason for existence?) So hook your Maildirs up with IMAP, and point
> Pine at that.
>
> Seems pretty simple to me.

How about this:  Use a non-crappy, open source e-mail client instead?

--Adam

> > But, it doesn't matter - Pine does IMAP right? (Isn't that it's real
> > reason for existence?) So hook your Maildirs up with IMAP, and point
> > Pine at that.
> >
> > Seems pretty simple to me.
>
> How about this:  Use a non-crappy, open source e-mail client instead?
>
> --Adam

And what MUA is that?

I am happy that RedHat, despite all the people who hate them, distributes
PINE patched to work with Maildirs.

PINE may be limited, but it sure is useful as a quick and dirty
console-base MUA.  I figured out how to use in in about 3 minutes without
having to RTFM.

I have to admit that I am sick of
_yet_another_non_GPL_free_software_license_, with every college having to
advertise "our students/faculty did something remotely usefull", but it
works, and it is free enough for most purposes.  But as I said, if I am
missing some great GPL MUA, pray tell...

--Pete

Written using PINE, telnet'ed in from a remote location to my ISP....

Peter Cavender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> PINE may be limited, but it sure is useful as a quick and dirty
> console-base MUA.  I figured out how to use in in about 3 minutes
> without having to RTFM.

If you've ever had to deal with the code, dirty is definitely an accurate
description.

> But as I said, if I am missing some great GPL MUA, pray tell...

mutt is pretty popular and is what we now recommend over Pine for anyone
willing to change.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

> > PINE may be limited, but it sure is useful as a quick and dirty
> > console-base MUA.  I figured out how to use in in about 3 minutes
> > without having to RTFM.
>
> If you've ever had to deal with the code, dirty is definitely an accurate
> description.

Well, yes.  I once tried to hack just pico, and gave up in
disgust.  weemacs???

OK, on your advice I will look into mutt and give it a whirl, but god
knows I have better things to do with my time than evaluate MUA's.  But
then I can't be closed minded....Thanks.

--Pete

Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 03:46:48AM +0100, Markus Stumpf wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately I can't imagine an easy way to tell whether a binary
> > is built with or without the big-todo patch :(
>
> Well, to me, this situation seems quite clear. qmail-send sees the 23
> todo dirs but doesn't notice those are dirs and not files. It then
> goes look for the mess files in the hashed structure. Funnily, a file
> named '14' will end up in dir '14' because that's how the modulo
> function that qmail uses, works.

Thanks to Peter, I can now confirm that this was due to an I/O error --
Idiot Operator.  The queue structure did in fact reflect big-todo, but
after triple-checking the binaries, it appeared that the patch hadn't
actually been applied.

There's a bit of a story behind this (I'll tell it to anyone who's
interested); suffice to say, to correct other problems caused during a
migration to NIS/yp & Kerberos, I had occasion to run queue-fix on this
queue.  Unfortunately, the queue-fix I ran had the big-todo patch applied,
and the qmail installation itself did not.

I thank all the list members who so kindly contributed their observations
and suggestions.

Charles

I'm having some difficulty setting up a sub-domain on my machine.
I'm trying to setup "lists.freezer-burn.org" and keep getting this result:

----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: failure notice
Date: 25 Jan 2001 04:52:40 -0000

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at logan.danen.net.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
208.38.9.171 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)
Giving up on 208.38.9.171.

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:52:38 -0700
From: Vincent Danen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: test

Sorry about this... having some difficulty with the mailing list software...

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD

Current Linux uptime: 4 days 10 hours 32 minutes.

----- End forwarded message -----

qmail-showctl on 208.38.9.171 shows this:

qmail home directory: /var/qmail.
user-ext delimiter: -.
paternalism (in decimal): 2.
silent concurrency limit: 120.
subdirectory split: 23.
user ids: 400, 401, 402, 0, 403, 404, 405, 406.
group ids: 401, 400.

badmailfrom: (Default.) Any MAIL FROM is allowed.

bouncefrom: (Default.) Bounce user name is MAILER-DAEMON.

bouncehost: (Default.) Bounce host name is danen.net.

concurrencylocal: (Default.) Local concurrency is 10.

concurrencyremote: (Default.) Remote concurrency is 20.

databytes: (Default.) SMTP DATA limit is 0 bytes.

defaultdomain: Default domain name is danen.net.

defaulthost: (Default.) Default host name is danen.net.

doublebouncehost: (Default.) 2B recipient host: danen.net.

doublebounceto: (Default.) 2B recipient user: postmaster.

envnoathost: (Default.) Presumed domain name is danen.net.

helohost: (Default.) SMTP client HELO host name is danen.net.

idhost: (Default.) Message-ID host name is danen.net.

localiphost: (Default.) Local IP address becomes danen.net.

locals:
Messages for danen.net are delivered locally.
Messages for zeus.danen.net are delivered locally.
Messages for freezer-burn.org are delivered locally.

me: My name is danen.net.

percenthack: (Default.) The percent hack is not allowed.

plusdomain: Plus domain name is freezer-burn.org.

qmqpservers: (Default.) No QMQP servers.

queuelifetime: (Default.) Message lifetime in the queue is 604800 seconds.

rcpthosts:
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at danen.net.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at zeus.danen.net.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at linuxgiant.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at freezer-burn.org.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at pellaria.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at rpmhelp.net.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at tdmonline.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at darat.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at braindeath.dtdns.net.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at tomdp.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at bethesdaonline.org.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at crimsonshadow.com.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at edmontonlinux.org.
SMTP clients may send messages to recipients at lists.freezer-burn.org.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(as you can see, qmail-showctl shows it here)

morercpthosts: (Default.) No effect.

morercpthosts.cdb: (Default.) No effect.

smtpgreeting: (Default.) SMTP greeting: 220 danen.net.

smtproutes:
SMTP route: braindeath.dtdns.net:braindeath-smtp.dtdns.net:1200
SMTP route: tomdp.com:braindeath-smtp.dtdns.net:1200

timeoutconnect: (Default.) SMTP client connection timeout is 60 seconds.

timeoutremote: (Default.) SMTP client data timeout is 1200 seconds.

timeoutsmtpd: (Default.) SMTP server data timeout is 1200 seconds.

virtualdomains:
Virtual domain: darat.com:darat
Virtual domain: lists.freezer-burn.org:mailman

(this is what I'm trying to accomplish)

aliasempty: I have no idea what this file does.

defaultdelivery: I have no idea what this file does.

Any ideas why qmail-showctl says that it will be receiving mail for
lists.freezer-burn.org and yet when I send mail to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] it comes back like this?

FYI, when I'm on that machine and I write a message locally from it,
it is delivered no problem, mailman gets the message, and a message is
sent for moderator approval.  So I know mailman works, and I know that
qmail will deliver the message, but it won't do it from a remote
source, only locally (which makes no sense to me whatsoever).  Every
other domain I host works just fine, only this one is giving me
problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD
 - Danen Consulting Services    www.danen.net, www.freezer-burn.org
 - MandrakeSoft, Inc. Security  www.linux-mandrake.com

Current Linux uptime: 4 days 10 hours 36 minutes.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 10:01:49PM -0700, Vincent Danen wrote:
> I'm having some difficulty setting up a sub-domain on my machine.
> I'm trying to setup "lists.freezer-burn.org" and keep getting this result:
>
> ----- Forwarded message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----
>
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: failure notice
> Date: 25 Jan 2001 04:52:40 -0000
>
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at logan.danen.net.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> 208.38.9.171 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
>(#5.7.1)
> Giving up on 208.38.9.171.

I tested it myself and 208.38.9.171 accepted [EMAIL PROTECTED] as
a recipient. The problem might lie in your using a CNAME record for
lists.freezer-burn.org, and the remote host canonicalizing the address to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Try changing the CNAME to an MX record.

Chris

On Thu Jan 25, 2001 at 12:38:18AM -0500, Chris Johnson wrote:

> > I'm having some difficulty setting up a sub-domain on my machine.
> > I'm trying to setup "lists.freezer-burn.org" and keep getting this result:
[...]

> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > 208.38.9.171 does not like recipient.
> > Remote host said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts
>(#5.7.1)
> > Giving up on 208.38.9.171.
>
> I tested it myself and 208.38.9.171 accepted [EMAIL PROTECTED] as
> a recipient. The problem might lie in your using a CNAME record for
> lists.freezer-burn.org, and the remote host canonicalizing the address to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Try changing the CNAME to an MX record.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I've changed it to an A record
and now it works (I already had an MX record in place for it).  Works
from this machine where it didn't work before... I guess we'll see if
others can get to it in the next 24 hours or so when the DNS info
replicates... =)

Thanks!

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], OpenPGP key available on www.keyserver.net
1024D/FE6F2AFD   88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7  66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD
 - Danen Consulting Services    www.danen.net, www.freezer-burn.org
 - MandrakeSoft, Inc. Security  www.linux-mandrake.com

Current Linux uptime: 4 days 11 hours 50 minutes.

Title: add users script for qmail, system, & samba

Qmail has come off with out a hitch! Thanks to Dave Sill for the newbie documentation!

Does anyone have a script or know of a script that would allow you to add users to qmail, system, & samba all at the same time with one set of instructions?

My particular situation all users would have a system & qmail account but, not necessarily a samba account. A script that would allow this type of selection would be great.

A location or example of a script would be excellent.

Thanks,

Andy

I'm having a very serious problem.. the mail queue is full of messages
(about 31k) and local delivery is very slow if at all. I get lot of those
temporary delivery errors in the logs.

The strange this is that nobody has touched anything on the server for a
loong time and everything has worked fine before.

The strange thing is that some messages get delivered succesfully but some
does not. All permissions *are* ok. I've spent many hours trying to track
this down but I can't find what is causing it.

After some work if figured out where it barfs:

In qmail-local.c, funtion maildir_child:

 switch(substdio_copy(&ssout,&ss))
  {
   case -2: tryunlinktmp(); _exit(4);
   case -3: goto fail; <-- Here
  }

I've tried figuring out what that substdio_copy does but I'm not that
familiar with qmail and C...

Can someone please help ? This is starting to get realy ugly.
I'm using qmail-1.03+quota patch under:
SunOS free 5.7 Generic_106541-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-MP

--
Kaj-Michael Lang, Turku, Finland
[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.tal.org

I run this script (/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd/run) to run my
qmail-smtpd :

#!/bin/sh

QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
MAXSMTPD=`cat /var/qmail/control/concurrencyincoming`

exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
      /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x /etc/tcp.smtp.cdb -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
         -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp rblsmtpd \
      /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

rblsmtpd by default pointed to "rbl.maps.vix.com".
How to add more rblsmtpd process to check another blacklist resource like
"relays.mail-abuse.org", "blackholes.mail-abuse.org" or
"dialups.mail-abuse.org"?

* Agi Subagio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010125 03:00]:
> How to add more rblsmtpd process to check another blacklist resource like
> "relays.mail-abuse.org", "blackholes.mail-abuse.org" or
> "dialups.mail-abuse.org"?

(lart@socha):(~)$ cat /service/smtp/run
#!/bin/sh
QMAILDUID=`id -u qmaild`
NOFILESGID=`id -g qmaild`
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
/usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -p -x tcp.cdb \
-u $QMAILDUID -g $NOFILESGID 0 smtp /usr/local/bin/rblsmtpd \
-rrelays.orbs.org -rrbl.maps.vix.com \
-r blackholes.mail-abuse.org \
-r dialups.mail-abuse.org \
-r 'relays.mail-abuse.org:Open relay problem - see
<URL:http://www.mail-abuse.org/cgi-bin/nph-rss?%IP%>' \
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd 2>&1

Hello everybody!!!

I am using qmail1.03 on a rh7.0.
I would like to use qmailadmin 0.39.
but I can't log in, I need 'postmaster' but I don't know who is he.
however I use omail and it run very wel.
Thanks fo your support.

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:32:11AM +0100, fred wrote:
>I am using qmail1.03 on a rh7.0.
>I would like to use qmailadmin 0.39.
>but I can't log in, I need 'postmaster' but I don't know who is he.
>however I use omail and it run very wel.

Qmailadmin is a tool for managing a "vpopmail" setup.  If you don't have
vpopmail, it won't really do anything for you.  Qmailadmin really should
be called "Vpopmailadmin" or something.  If you do have vpopmail, the
"postmaster" account/password it's asking for is the account that you set
up to be the "owner" of the virtual domain you are trying to manage.

Sean
--
 A "fuddish" is when you really like Looney Toons a lot.
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

* fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010125 04:28]:

> I am using qmail1.03 on a rh7.0.  I would like to use qmailadmin 0.39.
> but I can't log in, I need 'postmaster' but I don't know who is he.

Which part of the following sentence do you not understand?

|QmailAdmin is a free software package that provides a web interface for
|managing a qmail system with virtual domains. A version is available now
|for use with the vpopmail program.
                  ^^^^^^^^

> however I use omail and it run very wel.

I use mutt and it works very wel, too. However, neither are qmail
related in a way qmailadmin is. qmailadmin *does* have its own extensive
documentation and mailing list, though:
http://www.inter7.com/qmailadmin/

> Thanks fo your support.

De rien.