On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:33:18PM +1100, Rod... Whitworth wrote:
> Q1:
> I have learnt that qmail does not issue reply codes indicating permanent failure for
>invalid users/mailboxes.
> I know that these messages will eventually bounce but (apart from the issue of
>determining whether a recipient
> exists within a valid domain for delivery) is this "less expensive" than the more
>obvious 5xx response?

qmail - unlike other mail "systems" - is not one big monolith program
bt has many modules that work together. qmail-smtpd is receiving
the messages and putting it in a queue. qmail-smtpd does not know about
local users, just domains. qmail-local has all the mechanisms to deliver
emails locally. I think someone (Sam?) had a modification to qmail-smtpd
to mimic all of qmail-locals mechanisms to enable it to bounce messages
to non local users, but that way you do all the decisions twice.
For usual use (no attack with a e.g. dictionary spam) qmails way
of handling things is no problem.

> Q2:
> Perhaps I have a user who makes a typo in an address. Say it is in the local-part
>and that the domain is
> valid.
> I have learnt tha qmail does not issue deferral notices. On the server I have worked
>with in the past a
> deferral after a few hours <may> result in the sender correcting the address. (Some
>are so stupid that a 4x4
> hardwood billet.... but never mind!) Waiting days doesn't seem like other than a
>godlike retribution process
> for fallible beings.

I personally *hate* those delay messages. Once I got one every hour for
a whole week from a remote system telling me that it cannot contact the
final delivery system. Really annoying and pretty useless, as there's
nothing I could have done against the problems.

However there is a addon module available at http://www.qmail.org/ that
IMHO does what you want. Search for delayed-mail notifier on qmails
website.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG               |   http://www.Space.Net/   | Stress is when you wake
Research & Development    | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] | up screaming and you