On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:32:47PM -0500, Scott Gifford wrote:
> Markus Stumpf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > If AOL or hotmail would decide to change their MX records to your mailserver
> > this will for sure also cause you problems.
>
> No it won't.  qmail will give an error that the MX records points back
> to itself, and bounce the message.

I don't think that any mailserver out there will be able to handle
the load if AOL or Hotmail will change the MX record to point at that
system (without prior notice).
This would be a DOS just like the 0.0.0.0 is.

> qmail knows that MX records that point back to you are a problem, it
> just doesn't know that 0.0.0.0 points back to itself.
> That's why it's a bug.

I never said it's not a bug, it's IMHO just not a security bug.
It's triggered by a DNS misconfiguration (done on purpose).

And, btw., thanks for finding it and supplying a fix.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299