Peter van Dijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 02:12:32AM +0000, James R Grinter wrote:
> [snip]
> > Indeed, qmail already uses a split queue/mess/ directory structure and
> > it was a bit of an omission to assume that there would never be a
> > surge of mail in one go (VERP list expansion is definitely good for
> > creating this situation) and thus many messages in todo/ at once.
>
> VERP expansion happens on delivery, not on queue injection, unless you
> are doing something very wrong.

It's always good to question and investigate what is happening -
thanks to Peter for the prompting - the answer seems to be that the
"majordomo-inject" script we've been using since 1998 was indeed
expanding upon queue injection (it was doing the VERP itself.)

Anyone out there using this - *do* switch to mjinject instead - Giles
Lean and Russ Allbery's replacement script.

James.
(Only 2 and a half years to spot and nail the problem. Not bad...)