On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:36:53PM +0100, Paulo Jan wrote:
> > You may have your concurrency limits set too high for the resources of the
> > box.  But you've posted no useful information with your report, so we can
> > only guess.
> >

>       Well, I asked mostly because I didn't know what the "VM:
> do_try_to_free_pages_failed_for qmail-remote" message meant, but since
> then I've been informed that it more or less stand for "out of memory".
> As for my server, it's a Pentium III with 128 Mb. of memory and 48Mb. of
> swap; concurrencylocal is 50 and concurrencyremote is only 16 (and I
> have databytes set to around 9Mb.). I find it a bit strange that a queue
> of just 250 messages could be enough to crash the box with those
> settings...
>

>                                               Paulo Jan.
>                                               DDnet.
This is a kernel bug. I found out here at the University the hard way.
My system also has 128 Mb or RAM, but I have 192 Mb swap. I thought, no
way could I be out of memory, so I cronned a job that output the meminfo
in /proc. Sure enough, swap pages seemingly were never freed. Turns out
it is a problem in Linux kernel 2.2.16 and 2.2.17. I upgraded to 2.2.18
and have not had the problem since.

--
Wesley Wannemacher

--
"And I don't like doing silly things (except on purpose)."
             -- Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>