On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:07:28PM -0600, Barry Smoke wrote:
>I see an existing project... Mail2db which uses a python script, and
>postgresql....has anyone played with this?  Is there already a program that

We actually have all of our e-mail being stored in the Mail2DB db, not
suprisingly.  It's actually quite handy, but the message body is *NOT*
stored in the database.  I currently put *EVERYTHING* into the database
and don't want the odd 1MB to 50MB message being shoved in there.
Besides, it makes it *REALLY* easy to compress the bulk of the data.

I'd highly recommend you consider Postgres over MySQL.  The regex
matching in SQL clauses is fantastic:

   SELECT filename, hdrsubject FROM mail2db WHERE hdrfrom ~ ".*@example.com";

Mhonarc is an interesting idea, if you just want a bunch of HTML files.
For archiving, the ability to run SQL queries on messages has proven very
useful...

Sean
--
 You know you're in Canada when:  The petrol-station attendant describes
 -30 degrees C as "she's a bit nippy out there, eh?".