On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 11:26:58PM +0000, Ricardo Cerqueira wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:06:08PM -0800, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> > When running pop3d, I get an error saying "no $HOME/Maildir" which may be
> > caused by the directory permissions of 0700 on both the home directory and
> > Maildir.
> >
> > On Red Hat, procmail is the MDA, and is SUID/SGID root. Other than making
> > pop3d run as root, what are my options? If I chmod the directories, what's
>
> qmail-pop3d IS supposed to run as root. From LWQ:

Nope.

> tcpserver -v -R 0 pop3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup FQDN \
>         /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1 | \
>         /var/qmail/bin/splogger pop3d &

tcpserver runs as root, qmail-popup inherits root, checkpassword
inherits root but changes to the uid/gid of the user that successfully
logged in, pop3d inherits the uid/gid that checkpassword changed to.

Getting back to the very confusing question. What has procmail
setuidness got to do with pop3d?

On the permissions front you forgot to mention the owner of
$HOME/Maildir. Is it owned by the user? It should be.

Finally, if you have procmail delivering to the users $HOME/Maildir
then it does not need to be setuid root.

Regards.