[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am trying to create a server to do just mailing.  I installed the
>qmail and right now I'm trying to optimize it so it can handle huge
>amount of mailing which will be handle by ezmlm.
>
>My first question is about qmail-smtpd and qmail-qmtpd
>
>1. what's the difference and which do you perfer.

They're two different protocols used for accepting incoming
mail. Neither will improve outgoing performance at all.

>second question?
>2. the faq states it like this
>tcpserver -u 7770 -g 2108 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &
>and to raise the limit to 400 use
>tcpserver -c 400
>
>so will the final line be
>
>tcpserver -u 7770 -g 2108 -c 400 0 smtp /var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd &

Yes, but, again, a list server doesn't generally deal with lots of
simultaneous incoming connections. You should be looking at maximizing
concurrencyremote.

>"Answer: Install daemontools
>(http://pobox.com/~djb/daemontools.html).  Make a /var/log/qmail
>directory, owned by qmaill, mode 2700("What does this mean??(mode
>2700).

See "man chmod".

>Do
>
>   qmail-start ./Mailbox /usr/local/bin/accustamp \
>   | setuser qmaill /usr/local/bin/cyclog /var/log/qmail &
>
>in /var/qmail/rc.

This is outdated information. Cyclog was the predecessor of multilog.

>I already have tcpserver running but don't get this cyclog stuff.
>I have /var/log/qmail/qmail-smtpd directory already.

You're probably using multilog.

>I have pIII 600mhz, 128mb ram, 9G scsi server under linux 7.0 would
>really like this server to handle 10 million emails per day(little
>exaggeration). Is this possible. I'm also using djbdns and using
>local cache. and want to implement cdb database somehow.

Do you have high-speed network connectivity? And waht do you want to
put in a cdb?

-Dave