> Dave can probably give a more detailed answer to this, but you don't
> symbolicly link the directories into /service until you're ready to run
them.
> And even then, svscan won't start them until you do a svc -u (or -o)
> /service/servicename .

    Everything I've read about svscan says that once you create the symbolic
link in /service that the new service will start within 5 seconds. I don't use
svscan to run Qmail (mainly due to a newbie mess up when I initially installed
Qmail and don't want to break what *IS* working fine for my needs) but I *DO*
use svscan for djbdns and in every instance where I have installed djbdns and
created the symbolic link in /service, dnscache has always started on it's
own.

   FWIW....

   Richard