Norvell Spearman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > If the filesystem isn't mounted, then qmail isn't going to be
> > delivering mail to it, is it?
>
> So if I umount /home while qmail is up, will qmail barf or simply wait for
> /home to be remounted?

You still don't get it.  Running quotacheck is something you do after a major
system failure, etc.  You do this from single user mode, before mounting other
filesystems, before starting networking at all, let alone network daemons.

On SysV-style systems, single user mode, where you do major system repairs and
whatnot, is runlevel 1.  Networking isn't enabled until you hit runlevel 3.
And things like qmail-send shouldn't be started until at _least_ runlevel 2,
preferably runlevel 3.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with qmail.  Take further questions about
quotacheck to the supportl list for your OS.

> I know single user mode would be best; I could do the quota stuff late at
> night.  But what would happen if mail comes to the server and qmail isn't
> running?

It's deferred.  The sender will try again later if they can't establish a
connection.  If you don't like that, pay someone to be a backup MX for you.

Charles