> Did you check out the other man pages listed in the SEE ALSO section of
> the quotacheck man page?  If you didn't, you should have -- you would then
> have discovered exactly what creates the quota.{user,group} files.  (Hint:
> They're created when you turn quotas on.)
>
> - Adrian

I must be reading different man pages than yours.  The quotaon man page is
referred to in quotacheck's man page.  This is what I read from
`man quotaon`:

  NAME
      quotaon - turn file system quotas on and off
  . . .
  quotaon expects quota files to be present in the root directory
  of the specified file system and be named aquota.user
  for user quota or aquota.group for group quota. These files can
  be created either by converting old quota files with
  convertquota(8) or by quotacheck(8)
  which creates completely new files.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*

Then quotacheck's man page:

  quotacheck expects each filesystem to be checked to have quota
  files named aquota.user and aquota.group located at the root
  of the associated filesystem.  If a file is not present,
  quotacheck will create it.
  . . .
  It is strongly recommended to only run quotacheck with quotas
  turned off and the filesystem unmounted or in read-only mode, or
  quota corruption can occur.

So what creates the quota files besides quotacheck?  Thanks for your help
and all apologies for straying off this list's theme. . .

---Norvell
*Annoying ASCII emphasis added by message's author