>"Rodney Broom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>This has been hashed, rehashed, and re-re-hashed on this list.  It
>inevitably ends in a flameware, somebody telling somebody else to
>profile rather then speculate, and a series of past analyses of these
>events supporting both sides of the argument being dredged up.

        Test with stock qmail on a Solaris workstation, 10,000 copies sent
to the same email address (obviously the same domain) using qmail-inject:
30 minutes.

        Test from same workstation with a script to generate 10,000
"rcpt to:" lines and send via a single connection: 5 minutes.

        In the first example, 10,000 actual copies were delivered to the
mailbox but in the second, only a single copy was delivered.

        Presuming it should take the same amount of time to wait for a
"rcpt to:" response whether sending a separate message at a time or a
single message with multiple "rcpt to:" lines, I get the results that I
expected - to send to the same domain (ignoring VERP requirements), it is
faster to use a single connection for multiple messages than to use qmail.

--
Roger Walker
Tier III Messaging/News Team