Mark Martin wrote:

In the past 6 months we have added 2 new mail servers (actually 3),
and I have constructed the setup so I can add mailservers as needed.
It is all NFS mounted drives on CentOS 4.2.  Right now, I am looking
at tweeking this out all around.

I was browsing thru the docs about NFS and file systems, and it appear
that Qmail like BSD centric file systems, and is not as fond of Linux
filesystems, in terms of writing to the disk and NFS as well as SCSI.
Also, it mentions it does not like IDE with write caching enabled.

I currently have the following disk setup:

2 - 200 GB IDE RAID 1 (Escalade controller).
These are shared across all mail machines.

What I am looking into is purchasing a 2+ Terabyte RAID 5 hotswap
array, with SATA drives/controllers.  This particular setup
has an SCSI interface.

Here is the main question:

Has anyone had experience with this type setup with Qmail and
what is your experience?
I have played with the NFS method of using QMail when I was developing a cluster-setup-script, and can say that it works reasonably well. The only issues I ran into were when (this was a couple months ago - haven't worked on it much lately) the NFS share was slow in writing files. Qmail-queue writes the file to the NFS share, and if it is not completed within a specific amount of time (don't remember what it was, something like 6 seconds) it thinks there was an error, and sends a second copy of the email, so the user would receive 2 copies of the same email. This only happened when the NFS share was slow (tried to run it across the Internet), and there was a large attachment (>1M) involved. If you're running the cluster on a local LAN, you should not have this issue if you're using at least 100M network cards/switches. I do NOT recommend running the NFS across the Internet - too slow.