I asked the techs at Rackspace (where we have our qmail toaster) how to, and if
they would recommend, setting up a caching name server. They replied to the
contrary:

> To be honest, this may not provide you with any performance increase,
> and may even degrade performance, as doing this will incur an initial
> lookup delay on any non-cached domain, whereas using our caching
> nameservers you are pretty unlikely to get a cache miss on any given
> domain.

Are they nuts? (They are sometimes.) But they have local-cachine nameservers
they provide, which, from my server, have ping latencies from 0.1-0.2 ms.

Quinn