Well, let's see.
1) qmlog doesn't work on my system. I'm going to go out on a limb and
assume that to be because I don't have the latest Toaster installed. I
installed back in early June, and have not updated. I've had other
projects on my plate and in my way, and I've been terrified to bring
down the server to upgrade it. Yes. That makes me a useless coward.
But ... until now, I've been fine. *sigh*

2) I tried hunting through the smtp logs in /var/log/qmail/smtp for
instances of the IP of the sender. I haven't found anything. I need to
keep trying that.

3) I don't have SPF/DomainKeys running, because I couldn't figure out
how to make it work in my installation properly, and I gave up. It was
more important to have a working mailserver than to have a perfect
mailserver. Y'know ... until that bites me in the rump. Like now.

So ... thus far, I haven't found much of anything useful to report.
But I thought I should say /something/, and thank you for the
suggestions.

Roxanne

On 1/10/07, Eric Shubes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Roxanne Sandesara wrote:
> I need some help trying to troubleshoot a very serious problem that has
> cropped up. The last two days, the amount of email coming through to my
> user accounts on my server has dropped dramatically. I have not changed
> a single setting on the server. Accounts that were previously receiving
> on the order of 200+ emails a day are now receiving only 10-15 external
> emails per day. And I have confirmed that several important emails from
> outside have not been delivered.
>
> How do I go about trying to find out what is going on? I have found how
> to flush/force the queue in regards to SMTP - sending mail. But how do I
> check the status of mail arriving, and being delivered? How do I
> flush/force those deliveries?
>
> Need help ASAP.
>
> Roxanne

Hey Roxanne,

They're probably being rejected up front in the smtp (incoming) session.
Check the smtp logs for messages pertinent to the missing sender (grep for
the sender domain's IP address, then browse the log in that area). qmlog is
handy for doing that:
# qmlog -lc ip.address.of.sender smtp

My first guess would be that the sender's IP has been blacklisted. The log
will show you if that's the case, and which blacklist is rejecting them.

My second guess would be a SPF or DomainKeys problem. Unfortunately, the
current stable toaster doesn't log these rejections. Good news is, the
qmail-toaster package in devel *does* (thanks to Alexey and EE).

Please let us know what you find.