Ronnie Tartar wrote:
I need to create an SMTP gateway that will take attachments, wav and tiff and convert them to mp3 and (jpeg or pdf). Any ideas on how to start this?

I hate storing wave files on mail server and faxes in tiff format. too much space.

That gets rather complicated. Attachments are stored as MIME type in the email themselves, so you'd need to use something like ripmime to extract the attachment, and then run a script on it to do your conversions, and then put the NEW attachment back into the email (which will probably break SPF).