As long as there's 'svc' to control it, I see no need for putting links into
/service/. For that matter, why is there a /service/ at all in the toaster?
I'd be inclined to ditch it.

Probably there since the Miguel Beccari days and hasn't been removed.
You can rmdir it without side effect.

If someone wanted to disable a stock service permanently, will 'svc -d'
persist after a reboot, or would they need to modify the qmail script to run it?

No, 'svc -d' is a temporary disable. The only way to permanently
remove it is to rm the dir. I usually leave everything running and
just use the firewall to control access.

For example on my system I don't allow imap or pop3 without ssl. Since
tcpserver doesn't take any resources unless it is in use, then there
is no worries.

Erik