Hi all

I got a strange problem: sometimes imap auth fails. It seems that this
appens random, account, imap client ( also webmail from localhost..) and
load average may vary, the only thing that remains the same is the imap
protocol.

I use this toaster version on mandriva:

 rpm -qa | grep toaster
ucspi-tcp-toaster-0.88-1.3.1mdk
ezmlm-cgi-toaster-0.53.324-1.3.1mdk
maildrop-toaster-devel-2.0.2-1.3.1mdk
qmailadmin-toaster-1.2.9-1.3.1mdk
control-panel-toaster-0.5-1.3.1mdk
ezmlm-toaster-0.53.324-1.3.1mdk
maildrop-toaster-2.0.2-1.3.1mdk
qmail-toaster-1.03-1.3.6mdk
isoqlog-toaster-2.1-1.3.1mdk
vpopmail-toaster-5.4.13-1.3.1mdk
autorespond-toaster-2.0.4-1.3.1mdk
squirrelmail-toaster-1.4.6-1.3.1mdk
spamassassin-toaster-3.1.7-1.3.5mdk
simscan-toaster-1.2-1.3.1mdk
qmail-pop3d-toaster-1.03-1.3.6mdk
libdomainkeys-toaster-0.68-1.3.1mdk
daemontools-toaster-0.76-1.3.1mdk
ripmime-toaster-1.4.0.6-1.3.1mdk
send-emails-toaster-0.5-1.3.1mdk
courier-imap-toaster-4.1.1-1.3.2mdk
clamav-toaster-0.88.5-1.3.4mdk
courier-authlib-toaster-0.58-1.3.1mdk
qmailmrtg-toaster-4.2-1.3.1mdk

my mysql installation is made on a different machine (but same lan..)
from the one that it's serving imap.

The error compares both if I login from network than from localhost
where the courier runs.

What I test made :

-debug=2 in imapd for viewing the password used for the auth (them were
always correct but sometimes the login fails anyway..)
-monitored the number of connection to my dmbs (I've reached about an
half of the limit set at 250 in my.cnf)
-verified that courier was configured to allow a sufficent number of
simultaneous connection (even from the same ip, respectively 180 and
50).
-whatched for softlimit problems (no one)
-logged all the sql query from mysql debug used to get user and
passwords from the dbms
-I "tcpdump-ed" network traffic findong no interesting errors
-I saw that in previous versions of vpopmail and courier there were
"sometimes failed logins".. but this happened 2 versions ago.. and in
the last 10 months no one in this mailing list turned out with a problem
similar to this one.

So, finally, is there something that I'm missing? Is there some known
bug?
Is there a possibility that sometimes daemontols "forget" to fork
imaplogin process and so auth may fail? (my dbms is heavily used it's
not simple for me to monitor every login attempt and see the
corresponding query on the other host). I'm sure that for every login
attempt I see  some entry in imapd/current.. so I think that daemontools
are ok...

Note that: the same toaster is used for pop3 and smtp (authenticated)
with no (not one) problem of auth.

many thanks