From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 9:29 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] Server Suggestions

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm currently running qmail on an old compaq dl 380 1st generation
>> server.
>> It's for a small factory with about 20 email accounts and runs basically
>> everything except the MS-SQL server.
>>
>> I was looking at getting a used Dell Power Edge 2650 or 2850.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with these servers?  Or any better
>> suggestions?
>>
>> I want to spend about $1000 - $1500, and have dual cpu's (or maybe 1
>> dual-core? idk why i'm stuck on thinking I need 2 chips), about 2-4GB
>> ram,
>> and about 50-100gb storage.
>>
>> Is anyone else running qmail for small companys? And if so.. what kind
>> of
>> hardware are you using?
>>

> IMO, dual CPUs won't help much. You'd be spending your money more wisely
> by getting a good P4 (3G) and as much RAM as you can.
> Drives are cheap - 1TB drives are down to less than $300 now, and I've
> been buying 400G'ers for ~$100 for a while now.
> But RAM is the key, if you ask me (rhyme strictly coincidental).

I agree with Jake, I am running P4, 2GB RAM and 300GB hard drive for
University students email. I have 12000+ accounts on the system and It
runs without hiccups.

ALex

Uganda Christian University.
Celebrating 10 years of Excellence (1997-2007).
   "Enter His gates with Thanksgiving"
http://www.ucu.ac.ug/