I have done some testing... I don't know if the QMail-Remote-Auth patch is a part of QMT, but if so - then it is not working.

What this patch is /supposed /to do is to allow the addition of username & password info in the smtproutes file. The idea being, if I place in my smtproutes file a line like:
*:mail.myserver.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] mypassword *
which is actually 2 fields longer than a normal smtproutes line (the extra 2 lines being a username (which, in the case of QMT is an email address) and a password, then all my outbound emails should be routed to the server *mail.myserver.com* and when the connection is made, SMTP_AUTH is supposed to be used, using the credentials provided.

Any chance someone better at this than I am could figure out how to add the QMail-Remote-Auth patch??? (Or figure out why it isn't working?) I [personally] think that this patch should be a permanent part of the Toaster... any comments?

BTW: I tested this by adding a valid username/password entry to a server, then sending a test message, then checking the send log -- which indicates that the connection is still proceeding without the authentication (exact snippet from the log file is: *delivery 29: failure: User_and_password_not_set,_continuing_without_authentication.*)

Cheers!

Dan

Daniel McAllister, President

IT4SOHO, LLC
224 - 13th Avenue N
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

877-IT4SOHO: Toll Free
727-647-7646 In Pinellas
813-464-2093 In Hillsborough
727-507-9435 Fax Only

"When did you do your last backup?"

Ask me about unattended offsite backup solutions...
to protect your business, not just your data!

Eric Shubert wrote:
You got me, then.
Maybe a TLS issue?
I'd try turning on recordio to see what's happening. You can find
instructions on using recordio in the list archives. It'd be nice to have a
wiki page on that, but I don't recall anyone writing one yet.

Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH wrote:
Yes, the user/password is valid on the receiving server.

Johannes

Eric Shubert schrieb:
Is that user/pw an account on the sending or receiving server? It
needs to
be an account on the receiving server.

Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH wrote:
Yes, it has (the line is: weberhofer.at:mail.weberhofer.at:587
[EMAIL PROTECTED] password).

Johannes

Eric Shubert schrieb:
Does his machine's smtproutes record include a username and
password? It
needs that in order to authenticate. I believe the wiki has details.

Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH wrote:
Hello everyone!

I have a question related to the smtproutes. I want to force one of my
customers to route external mails through my server, internal mails
should stay within his office.

I have set up an qmail-toaster within the office which operates
perfectly. My server works perfectly, too. When I modify the
smptroutes
to forward all mails to my server's submission port the customer
always
gets an error message like this:

------------- returning mail's content
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Connected to 80.237.247.145 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 503 AUTH first (#5.5.1)
-------------

Do you have any ideas how this could be done? Unfortunately the sender
does not have a fixed IP address, so he must send authenticated only.
Also sending via port 25 does not work. Do you have any ideas?
Below you
see all the relevant settings and log-files.

Best regards,
Johannes Weberhofer

-------------
/var/qmail/control/smtproutes at my customer's server

weberhofer.at:mail.weberhofer.at:587 [EMAIL PROTECTED] password

-------------
submission/current in my relaying mail server:

@400000004817317702ef9834 CHKUSER accepted sender: from
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote
<server.office.mycustomer.domain:unknown:YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY> rcpt <> :
sender accepted

-------------
smtp/current at my customer's server:

@40000000481731762d9096c4 status: local 0/10 remote 1/60
@400000004817317701c5b27c delivery 83: failure:
Connected_to_XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX_but_sender_was_rejected./Remote_host_said:_503_AUTH_first_(#5.5.1)/

@400000004817317701c5c21c status: local 0/10 remote 0/60

trying to send via port 25 results in the following smtp/current at my
customer's server:

@400000004817350e1c560d1c delivery 87: deferral:
No_supported_AUTH_method_found,_continuing_without_authentication.
/80.237.247.145_does_not_like_recipient.
/Remote_host_said:_451_http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY/Giving_up_on_XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX./