The server is an older one -- using an Athlon XP 2400+ CPU, 1GB RAM.

Again, it hosts a single mail domain (well, really 2 -- one aliased to the other), and the problem showed up a few weeks after they were upgraded to using SpamDyke.

As I mentioned in an earlier (today) post, there was some great info in the archives (under a load-balancing thread of all places) at http://www.mail-archive.com/qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com/msg18986.html

As my log files didn't show ANYTHING unusual, I have surmised that the REMOTE mail server timed out (or mine did) while processing the message. I cannot control the remote side, so I tried one of the suggestions in the above-mentioned thread -- I increased SpamDyke's idle timeout value, albeit not nearly as much as the suggested one: I doubled it to 120 (from 60) vs. the tread's suggestion of 400.

Again, only time will tell.... and my silent (again) phone! :-)

Again, thanks to Sergio Minini for the suggestion & pointer to that particular thread in the archives....

Dan

Daniel McAllister, President

IT4SOHO, LLC
224 - 13th Avenue N
St. Petersburg, FL 33701

877-IT4SOHO: Toll Free
727-647-7646 In Pinellas
813-464-2093 In Hillsborough
727-507-9435 Fax Only

"When did you do your last backup?"

Ask me about unattended offsite backup solutions...
to protect your business, not just your data!

Kyle Quillen wrote:
Dan,

I know exactly what you are dealing with.
Can you give us some specs as to what you are running and what are you
load averages and hardware of the server?

Thanks