Maxwell Smart wrote:

I have rebooted and it's still Linux mail.area510.net 2.6.18-92.1.13.el5
#1 SMP Wed Sep 24 19:33:52 EDT 2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux.

That's an older kernel that's running. For some reason it's not picking up the latest installed kernel. Your menu.lst file looks fine.

Did/do you have a separate boot partition on the hd0? Your system doesn't appear to be booting from the /boot directory and menu.lst file you posted earlier.

I would restore grub to the MBR to be sure you're picking up the right boot directory/partition. If the menu.lst file you posted earlier is indeed correct for your system (the boot directory is under / on the hda1 partition), then

# grub
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

should fix it up. Reboot after doing this.

WARNING: THIS COULD RENDER YOUR SYSTEM UNBOOTABLE.
You've somehow managed to break your system such that is doesn't boot to the latest installed kernel though, and this is my best guess at fixing it, with the limited information you've given.

Good luck, and be sure you have a backup (unless you're willing to start over from scratch).