Maxwell Smart wrote:
I see. The reason this was a bit odd was that I use the QMTISO for all my base installs and build my web server on that platform. So I have a fully functional e mail client with all the bells and whistles installed right outta the box. True that most installs (SuSe, Redhat etc) do install Postfix by default, but the QMTISO is more robust in the features that I want. Once OSSEC and fail2ban are included and the latest version of Webmin I won't have to do too much to set up a machine. Did you roll your own OS and that's why Postfix wasn't present?

I believe RedHat (and thus CentOS) have sendmail (gag) by default.

I recently did an update that caused my logwatch to change the mailto: address from m...@address.com to r...@localhost It took me a bit to figure it out, because the same thing was happening. It would execute, but no mail, no errors. If you had it working and toyed with it, likely another problem. I hate it when that happens.

Postfix uses the standard /etc/aliases file for routing. So you can just change the root entry there (don't forget to run the newaliases command afterwards), and all of root's email (many packages default to sending to r...@localhost) to wherever you like. Simple.