On 08/22/2011 01:57 PM, Dan McAllister wrote:
Michael,

Your point about messages piling up on the server is valid -- except for two points: a) when they're using my server, they pay for storage, not numbers of accounts... more storage, more monthly cost (more income for the same infrastructure) b) when they're NOT using my server, they pay for management and don't want me talking to them about storage -- its their hardware -- but in that case, they're paying for /backup/ on their server... and again, they pay for storage... more storage = more income for the same infrastructure!

I PUSH (hard) for IMAP e-mail access -- for business reasons (their business, not mine)... either my server or theirs is backed up... if there is an issue on IMAP, I can ALWAYS recover the data because I have it backed up! If it's pop and their system isn't backed up, then its lost.... and if they lose the entire PST (or Thunderbird database), they've lost everything... with IMAP, all the data protection that goes into the design of the server applies to the e-mail just as it does to Word & Excel files...

I host my own personal e mail and that includes my wifes. I recently changed her over to IMAP for this very reason. I would bear the brunt if her laptop crashed and the e mails were lost.
As for retraining this user, he's adamant that he shouldn't have to learn a new way of doing things... so I'm definitely at a point where I need to find out WHAT is making the files disappear...

The trash issue needs to be addressed either way. If it's dis appearing for no reason, that needs to be sorted. It sounds like your charging him for the space so re training him is a non issue. You need to train him on how to save more stuff!
For everyone who's replied so far -- please keep trying! I'm hoping ONE of the big, smart heads out there will see SOMETHING that I'm missing...

Thanks

Dan