On 01/26/2012 01:12 AM, Peter Peltonen wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Casey Price<ca...@smileglobal.com>  wrote:
I'm curious to hear which hypervisors some of you guys are using for
virtualizing QMT or just VMs in general. I played around with Citrix
XenServer for a good 6-8 months last year, very very briefly checked out
Hyper-V, and currently am running Xen on CentOS 5.7 on a few of my PowerEdge
2650's. I also briefly tried out VMware's free one...ESXi?

 From what I've been hearing, KVM is supposed to be the new up and coming
standard. I haven't used it at all and don't know much about it, but I was
hoping to get some recommendations from others on here. Someone mentioned
Proxmox on here a few weeks back, so I downloaded Proxmox VE 1.9 and
installed it on a server I just recently bought the other night.

That's about as far as I've gotten with it at this point, so maybe someone
can provide some insight?
I've ran my toaster in a centos5 + xen combination and been quite
happy with it. No stability or perfomance issuses whatsoever.

Xen is not officially supported in rhel/centos version 6, but there is
a 3rd party repository for the kernel/xen packages and those have been
working with ok for my dom0 and web server domUs. As qmailtoaster does
not support centos6 yet, I havent tried installing a toaster on
centos6 domU though.

I would be interested in trying out KVM, but for me it has seemed
still a bit immature, so I went with 3rd party Xen. And as time
resources are limited I don't want to waste time learning another
technology as I have a working solution with Xen.

Regards,
Peter

Excuse the stupid question, but what's the advantage of VM over hardware? Are you running multiple instances of VM? Isn't there a performance loss over hard iron when running multiple instances?

CJ

--
Cecil Yother, Jr. "cj"
cj's