On 02/06/2012 12:03 PM, John Raley wrote:
How did you manage this?
I have a UTM device in front of both servers. It does call-out to verify the
account exists. I am guessing when the Qmail server says the account doesn't
exist, it move to the next email server.

Nice. That gets you part of the way there.

The problem is that QMT (and I expect Exchange but I'm not familiar with that) sees the domain as being local, so attempts local delivery.

I think I have an idea that might work, at least on the QMT side of things. If you replace the domain record in /var/qmail/virtualdomains with a record for each user who is still local, then qmail-send will see these specific users and send delivery off to qmail-local. For example, in virtualdomains file change
mydomain.com:mydomain.com
us...@mydomain.com:mydomain.com
us...@mydomain.com:mydomain.com
us...@mydomain.com:mydomain.com

Then all other users' mail should be sent to qmail-remote for delivery. You probably need to do nothing more, as the messages should be sent to the UTM device, which will look up the recipient, and send it on to the Exchange server. To make things a little more efficient though, you might want to create an records in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes that routes the remote messages for the domain directly to the exchange server.

I'm guessing this would work, but I'm not positive. I also have no clue about how to fix Exchange. Once again, you have my sympathies there.