On 02/15/2012 08:15 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
On 02/15/2012 08:33 AM, Dan McAllister wrote:
I know I'm almost always the "odd man out" on issues like this one - the
squeaky wheel, so to speak - but I too would like to see us additionally
support Debian (or Ubuntu), as they are gaining in popularity... and I
like the idea of being a supporter/developer on a mail system that is
gaining in popularity (as QMT is).

I agree.

That being said, I see no reason to try to support it with a binary
build, as I fully support the idea of moving towards a "_*QMT as an
appliance*_" approach (which is to say as a virtual machine that has
multiple storage options -- on the VM, on the host system, or even on a
NAS.) As an appliance, we could run QMT on Fedora Core 1, if we so
chose... (not that we would, but as an appliance, the choice of
"maintained OS" becomes far less important!)

I agree with this as well. While this seems to contradict the previous paragraph in some senses, I think we can provide QMT in a variety of distribution formats (first), and a variety of platform/distros (secondarily, later on).

FWIW, I'm thinking of making QMT not a single appliance necessarily, but a set of appliances, each with a specific role which operates in harmony with the others (MTA, MSA, MUA, ...). For a single mega-appliance (which is what QMT is presently), all of the individual appliances could be combined into one. Or you could combine whichever ones you'd like, as you see fit. This sort of flexibility will allow QMT to scale much more easily, among other benefits. Stay tuned on the developers list for more about this.

ClearOS is what I view as the ideal toaster. It does exactly what your describing. While it's called a gateway, it can be easily used as a web or e mail server with a very nice interface. I personally prefer CLI, but for the masses the simplicity of the GUI is a consideration.

CentOS is stable in every sense. I use SuSe on my desktop and have for server use and it's been very good too. I think it's the # 1 Distro for enterprise IIRC. I think both are good choices for QMT
Personally, this is the way I'm moving (virtualization) -- not only for
my QMT, but also for my apache (HTTP) and DNS/DHCP/Auth systems...

I believe that most people are with you there.
I'm leaning toward nginx instead of apache these days though. ;)

Just my 2-cents worth...

Closer to $2. ;)

PS: I use Ubuntu 10.4 LTS as a desktop on old laptops -- other than HD
media (where they just don't have enough horsepower) and some Windoze
Media (where there just aren't codecs that I can find), these little
laptops do everything a kid normally wants to do on a computer -- and on
hardware that costs less than $200! (I have tried CentOS on these same
laptops & have far more issues with media than with Ubuntu -- haven't
had time to figure out why, I'm just satisfied that there IS such a thing!)

I use Ubuntu LTS 10.4 on my desk/laptop (workstation). I'll have some big decisions to make come this summer. I didn't actually install 10.4 until about the time that 10.10 came out though, so I won't be in a hurry to get to 12.4. I *do* like stable things. :)

BTW: I use CentOS 5 on most of my older servers (having migrated to
CentOS from Fedora 8 some years ago), and CentOS 6 on my newer ones...
as I have pointed out on several occasions here, I have had NO PROBLEMS
building QMT on CentOS 6, and don't personally care about the lack of
the toaster-admin web-GUI... in fact, several people have pointed out
that a change to the php.ini file could fix those problems, but I
haven't tested it out because I simply don't use the GUI interface to
begin with, and I just haven't gotten around to it!

While I don't discourage anyone from being on the bleeding edge if that's their preference, I don't want to be in any hurry getting to COS6. There's no urgency (5 is supported 'til 2017), and there are some new system features (systemd and rsyslog to be specific )that I'd like to consider using if possible. Migrating to these common system services will make inclusion of other distros a bit easier as well.

As you can see, I don't drink anyone's Kool-Aid... the RIGHT tool in the
RIGHT place, regardless of who its from or what update mechanism is
used! :-)

Right. Which is why I'm giving OBS serious consideration. ;)

Thanks Dan.

--
Cecil Yother, Jr. "cj"
cj's