It sounds to me as though TAPS is matching one sender and one recipient.

Is this a bug, or perhaps a misunderstanding of TAPS behavior? It seems logical to me that there would be one outbound tap and one incoming tap.

There can of course be only one sender on the outbound side. Why would someone want multiple copies of the same thing on the incoming tap?